Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 94 12.7 ddec4 I think it is only firing on about 3…

Hello I have a...

Hello I have a 94 12.7 ddec4 I think it is only firing on about 3 cylinders hooked a scanner to it getting injector pulse timing on 4 cylinders. 1 and 6 show nothing only fault code is for the engine position sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1994 freightliner fld 120 60 series Detroit Ddec 4 non egr

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Truck Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked power and ground to ecm and checked ok

Answered in 1 day by:
8/1/2020
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

So you are having these troubles with your engine. Your TRS and SRS sensors and signal can contribute to these symptoms if that signal is lost. You want to verify that your wiring harness and connector is intact and that you do in fact have signal from your speed sensors to your ECM by confirming with the proper diagnostic software. If you do have signal , verify that your injection harness tests good and if so could have a problem injector for possible injector driver problem within the ECM. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Have your ECM bench tested or try a known good ECM you have access to one from another like vehicle.

Hello dan thanks for the information. Me and my friend are working on this together he has an auto shop and does some truck work mainly brake tires wheel seals that sort of thing he has a snap on scanner for heavy duty trucks which is what we are using for diagnostics and a multi meter I have ordered the engine position sensors and should have them Monday morning going to try that and see where it leads the truck has had some injector type issues this last winter when we were cutting corn in sub zero weather we would have it plugged in and it would still misfire on 2 cylinders smoke bad but would clean up after some engine heat but would still have a real raw diesel smell to it all day so I think I have 2 weak injectors at leak before thins other problem occurred
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Might be time for a set of injectors. If these injectors have any type of hours or miles on them, it would be a good idea to send them out to the fuel injection shop for inspection and testing or possible rebuild.
That was kind of the plan before it quit starting after last winter but don’t know if it’s injectors causing it not to start now or in I have a new problemI’ll let you know if the sensors help or not
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Sounds like a plan and you will want to do your overhead adjustments at the same time anyway.
Changed both sensors no change in the problem
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Thanks for the update? What fault codes are logged and what were the results of the other suggestions that I made?

Pulled the injectors and am trying to find a place to send them and possibly the ecm to have them tested
https://share.icloud.com/photos/04oEXd-_c94v8kecYljrOswQg#Lemmon,_SD
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Thank you for the update. Keep me posted on those results.
Hey dan sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier had my injectors and my ecm bench tested 5 out of 6 injectors failed ecm wasn’t acting 100 percent either put a new set of injectors in problem got a little better but not fixed the tech that tested my ecm said he thought it could have some injector drivers malfunctioning so getting s new ecm tomorrow and hopefully it runs again if not I just spent 5 grand on wishful thinking I’ll let you know how it turns out
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Thank you for the update. By chance is there another ECM that you can use to swap out before buying one for testing purposes?it is very possible that there could be a problem with the injector drivers but if you could get a hold of a known good ECM from a different truck that you can swap it would help confirm it as well.
Didn’t have anything available so I bought a new one with some warranty haven’t had a chance to put it in yet might be a couple days I’ll let you know how it goes
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Understood. Sounds like a plan and you're very welcome.
Daniel Wilson
Hey dan got the new ecm in and it started within one or two revolutions and runs very nice now the test is to put about 90000 on it this week harvesting and see if it will pull thanks for all the help