Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I swapped a 2004 c7 engine kal19660 for a 2006 engine

I swapped a 2004...

I swapped a 2004 c7 engine kal19660 for a 2006 engine wax20295 and now i have a low coolant lite and check engine lite on this chassis 34cn11397 is also equiped with a medallion info center and the trouble code is active

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

4uzaahdc34cn11397

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Glufstream cresendo rv 2004

Didn't get an answer yet
7/28/2020
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with your coolant level sensor after the engine swap. Let's start by checking your pinouts as well as your wiring and connector pins between your ECM and sensor comparing your old serial number engine and your new serial number engine as well as confirming that there are no problems with any damaged pins or wiring going to your coolant level sensor. Verify the coolant level is above the sensor as well. Click on this link for the KAL diagram and I will return with the WAX diagram for comparison. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click on the link below for the wax diagram. Pin numbers 49 and 54. If the wiring all checks out okay along with your sensor, it's very possible that that parameter needs to be changed by having Caterpillar electronic technician connected to the engine for some software updates and parameter changes since this engine is in a different vehicle now.

Daniel Wilson
What are the PIN numbers on the old engine. Too blurry to read in the diagramsThis chassis has a medallion info center
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

They are the same pin numbers. Now the other concern here is that your other controller is programmed to communicate with your old ECM. Your options are either to use your old ECM or you will need to go in to have your ECM software calibrated to communicate with your medallion info center.

Ok. There was a connector on the wax engine eco that two wires plugged into number 2 pin and 54 pin. This engine came from a Winnebago 2006
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Thank you for the update. The two options are going to be to try to use your old ECM even if you have to swap the harness and some sensors or you can bring it in to a service center to have the ECM software parameters updated for your RV.

Daniel Wilson
not happy but will keep trying
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Not happy about? Maybe I need to further clarify my answer. Your ECM on one vehicle does not have the same software programming and calibration as well as the OEM settings as the other vehicle ECM. When you swap ECM's that are already programmed for different vehicles, you can run into troubles like this. There is always a possibility that you are going to have to connect the dealer level software to update your software parameters when you do an engine swap like this. It is not a big deal As long as you have confirmed that your wiring and connector pins are okay in accordance to those pins that I have provided, those parameters have to be enabled within the ECM. The only way to do that is through Caterpillar electronic technician diagnostic software.

Therefore, either you use the existing ECM from the old motor and wiring harness or you need to have some programming done to the new one since that engine is programmed and set up for the other vehicle.