Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

03 international 8600 ac fan/ clogged pipe cant get code to…

03 international 8600 ac...

03 international 8600 ac fan/ clogged pipe cant get code to clear with all sensors unhooked and system drained of freon

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

03 international 8600 with cat c12

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replaced all ac components and recharged system

6/14/2020
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 2 years ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can !

03 international 8600 with cat c12Just completely rebuilt ac system and am getting ac service now fan/clogged pipe code and unit functioned other day then quit no pipes are clogged verified system drained system un plugged all sensors then plugged all back in the cleared codes in diamond logic builder and they keep coming back

I will try and look up info . How much freon is in the system ?

Here is the fault you have if I am not mistaken ...

613-14-1-10 -AC service now - fan problem/clogged pipe

At the current operating ambient temperature the engine fan isn't working, one of the AC lines has become plugged or the system is over-charged. The compressor is shut off to prevent damage.

Yep that's the code system is not overcharged ruled that out, pipes are not clogged freon is flowing and fan wire pin 11 on ecm is providing power to fan solenoid

What is the high side pressure climbing up too ? Do you have gauges hooked up to it ? I am curious as to how high it is going in pressure ?

I cant get the system to engage at all now

Is the fan coming on more often when the ac is running ? It should be ... It goes by how high the high side pressure is going ...

If you have fan override switch , have you tried leaving it on to see if it cools ?

There should only be 1.875 lbs in the system . That is all that system takes .

I cant get code to clear just keeps coming back

How are you trying to clear it? And do you have DLB ? The software for the body controller ?

I have diamond logic builder trying to clear it through that

Ok ... can you tell me what the ac pressure is reading ? Through DLB ?

You simply go to the small funnel looking icon next to the feature tab and click on it ... then search for hvac

Then highlight the HVAC feature that has a checkmark next to it and click on make session .

Did you find it okay ?

No

Did you find the funnel icon ?

No ... Go to the "Features" tab . Click on it

Once there , go down a little and look all the way to the left . You will see another "feature" tab .... right next to it , there is a little funnel . Click on it ...

Once you click on this funnel button , a window will pop up . Type HVAC in the search box and hit enter .

You should see a bunch of different hvac features come up . We need to highlight the one that is currently installed on the body controller . You can tell this by looking for the one with the checkmark .

Once that one is highlighted , click on the "make session" button

how's it going

Ok now that you are on the right spot ,click on the heartbeat or diagnose buttonYou should have a value column show up showing the AC high side pressure
About 80 psi off and 110 when compressor is onIssue now is the fan will only work on manual bypass so system gets to hot and shuts downIf fan is not running

So let me get this straight ... if fan is on override and running all the time , the ac is fine ? It's blowing cold inside ?

As of now yes so at this point I think the issue may be the fan now cycling as requested to maintain ac pressure and freon tempIf I'm not mistaken on cat c12 with 70 pin the #11 pin or #5 output as it is referred to should tell the fan when to kick on and off correct

Is it possible that someone may have connected to ecm lately and might have changed settings in there at all ?

I sent wiring diagram awhile ago ... It shows pin 11

Ecm needs to be set to listen for the message from the body controller to turn the fan on when the ac high side pressure is high and the body controller requests the fan on .

The fan has not properly worked since I purchased truck over a year agoThe ecm is a reman and we were having some electrical issues a few months this back sent ecm to shop showed good then sent ecm out for repair they found no issues but dead internal batteryI'm not super versed in cat et but how would I tell it to listen for a signal from body controller

I am not either when it comes to cat ET but there should be a setting in the features and parameters area that you can enable under fan settings so that it recognizes the message to enable fan when needed and there is also a setting for how long to let fan run when it sees the message ... normally you would set it for 30 seconds each time it gets the signal to engage fan .

Found in et it was shut off now according to diamond logic it should request fan at about 285 psi

That sounds about right . Let's try it !

Is there also a setting for how long fan will stay on ? If so , you should set to about 30 seconds ...

So basically , when AC reaches 285 psi , the message will be sent , the fan will come on and should stay on for 30 seconds whenever that message is sent . Then it will come off until the next time the pressure reaches 285

Still no request for fan I'm attempting manual fan request in cat et and nothing either
It seems you have the right wire there at pin 11 but I would not use that blue crimping terminal. I recommend crimp ring , solder and then shrink seal the connection to prevent corrosion in the future
Yeah I'm just using for diagnosing
You may have to go back into ET and look under multiplexing sectionThen find the fan setting in multiplexing , turn it on and make sure it is set to source address 33. This is the body controller's address
How do I find multiplexing sectionI find nothing of that source in et
There should be an area in the same place where you found the fan setting in ETPlease send a pic of the settings in ETSomething has to tell the ECM where to look for the message and from whom
I dont get any signal from #11 even when it calls for fan for engine elevated temperature
Try under Datalink parametersWhat about when fan override is on ?Send a pic of what is under Datalink parameters
Ok not there ... How about input selection?
Strange ... All other info is there in that one but nothing for AC . I see cruise settings are set to look for body controller messages . What about under system settings .
Just personality code

Any other spot that mentions AC?

No I think my issue may be a sensor in the engine has failed and is defaulting the fan to always on as the output on 11 is off with no voltage which is fan on and only supply's 12 volts for a few seconds when key is turned offFailed sensor might be intake temp, ambient or another

Does the fan ever come off ? for anything ? It is possible that the solenoid was replaced and has the wrong one in it ? Normally open versus normally closed ?

I can turn fan on and off with manual switch I installed but ecm does nothing fan is always on checked all engine temp inputs and they all are good

Would doing this over a phone conversation maybe help out further ?

It might be quicker to get through that way ...

Unfortunately I have retired for the evening is this something we can pickup tomorrow afternoon after I finish my runs for the day

Sure ... Sounds good !

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
I am available you can call me anytime to get. Back to diagnostics on this damn truck