Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2012 cummins 6.7. Looking for specs and operating pressures…

2012 cummins 6.7. Looking for...
2012 cummins 6.7. Looking for specs and operating pressures for aftertreatment system. Please include egr valve specs. What temps/ pressures required for regen to be initiated. Looking for normal healthy engine data to compare to problem trucks for use as a diagnostic tool. $ tip for a thorough answer. Pdf or printable information is great.
6/2/2020
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Below is the specs for a normal regen process. I hope this finds you well.

A regeneration that will not complete can be caused by malfunctions in the exhaust gas re-circulation (EGR), variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) systems, or fueling. These malfunctions do not allow the aftertreatment to reach the necessary temperatures for aftertreatment fuel injection.

When performing a stationary (parked) regeneration, monitor the following parameters to determine why a stationary (parked) regeneration will not complete:

• EGR Differential Pressure
  • EGR Valve Position Measured (Percent Open)
  • Exhaust Gas Pressure
  • Intake Manifold Pressure
  • Percent Load
  • Turbocharger Actuator Position Measured (Percent Closed)
  • Turbocharger Speed.

During a stationary (parked) regeneration, these are the typical values for a healthy system.

• EGR Differential Pressure - Less than 12.7 mm-Hg [0.5 in-Hg]
  • EGR Valve Position Measured (Percent Open) - Zero percent
  • Exhaust Gas Pressure - 3048 to 4064 mm-Hg [120 to 160 in-Hg]
  • Intake Manifold Pressure - 247 to 915 mm-Hg [10 to 36 in-Hg]
  • Percent Load - Less than 12 percent
  • Turbocharger Actuator Position Measured (Percent Closed) - 80 to 90 percent
  • Turbocharger Speed - 40k to 78k rpm.

During a stationary (parked) regeneration, the EGR valve should be closed to help increase the load on the engine.

A leaking EGR valve can be detected by monitoring the EGR Differential Pressure while the EGR valve is closed.

If the EGR Differential Pressure exceeds 12.7 mm-Hg [0.5 in-Hg] while the EGR Valve Position Measure (Percent Open) is zero percent during the stationary (parked) regeneration, a leaking EGR valve has been detected.

Clean and inspect the EGR valve for reuse. Reference Procedure 011-022 in Section 11.

During a stationary (parked) regeneration, the turbocharger also closes down to help increase the load on the engine.

If the Turbocharger Actuator Position Measured (Percent Closed) is not within 80 to 90 percent, or, the exhaust gas pressure is not within 3048 to 3556 mm-Hg [120 to 160 in-Hg], a malfunction of the VGT is the likely cause of the stationary (parked) regeneration that will not complete.

Check the VGT sector gear travel.

During a stationary (parked) regeneration, the percent load on the engine will fluctuate until the engine and aftertreatment reach a steady condition. Once the engine stabilizes, the percent load should remain less than 12 percent. The percent load should not consistently exceed 12 percent during the stationary (parked) regeneration.

Note : The percent load may fluctuate when the engine fan cycles ON and OFF.

Thanks that is the type of information we are looking for. Please look at this data attached as picture. Appears that the minimum the turbo actuator position closed to was 54% while the requested actuator position was at "0%". Also note that the actuator position is a higher percentage than what you suggested.
Should I diag the actuator 1st?

Remove the the act and check the sector gear That turbo is shot and binding. Replace both.

This actuator passes the calibration and the visible teeth look fine. Only observation was the turbo felt "easier" to move teeth as in typically it takes some hand force to move teeth. Should I remove turbo and have it tested?Can an actuator calibrate but still be bad?Can this truck be run until replacement or is it a critical issue requiring immediate repair or risk damaging engine?

You cannot test the turbo. There is a gauge that comes with a new turbo or actuator that is used to ensure the FULL travel of the sector gear. You should be able to move it with minimal finger pressure . The fault is for MECHANICAL failure. so something is getting blinded up. From experience if you take the cheap way out and only replace turbo. you will soon be replacing actuator. as the actuator is responsible for moving the sector gear, Replace both and you will be fine. Yes the actuator can pass tests when failed, I have has bad actuators pass the vgt hysteresis test . And that actuates the actuator to move (a test in INSITE). and you shouldn't be calibrating the actuator without performing the correct sequence. of VGT actuator install (an off turbo procedure) THEN the vgt calibration procedure ( the on turbo procedure)

It will derate you at any time for this code and others that may pop up . It should be put OOS

The turbo should be checked cold and HOT. Metal expands when hot that can be when the binding occurs. and get the gauge to verify full travel

Your Turbocharger Speed should be - 40k to 78k rpm the image you sent me is so low 23k

Thanks. I guess we're going to try to get one more week out of it before we pull the turbo. As the egr cooler leaked - could the turbo be really dirty causing issue?

Dirty is soot build up. It is a common issue due to to the EGR system/excessive idle time/low duty cycle . This is a common failure of the turbo and all egr coolers leak, Cummins still has not figured out how to correct the issue,

cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
All egr coolers leak? Interesting

Yes.

Where are the leaks on the egr cooler your talking about? At what surface? Thanks
They leak coolant internally