Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 95 freightliner with a 3126 cat motor it kept

Customer Question
shutting off so we replaced...
I have a 95 freightliner with a 3126 cat motor it kept shutting off so we replaced the computer to it to caterpillar and they programmed it and it runs a min a still shuts off caterpillar sayd it isn't in the motor side the problem is on the cab side and idea what we can to fix the problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2020
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The first thing you want to do is check the ECM power and grounds as well as your ignition circuit for the truck. Test for power on both sides of each of your fuses replacing any fuse with power only on one side. Check your ignition power and battery power including your grounds going to the ECM to determine if any of these are lost when the engine shuts down indicating that there is a loss of power or ground to the ECM causing the shutdown. Check for any fault codes logged as well and troubleshoot any fault codes individually. Be sure to swap your relays one at a time with a known good one for testing purposes as well. If there is a loss of ignition power to the engine ECM, you will then know that the ignition circuit will need to be tested to determine where the loss of ignition power exists. Test for power in and out of the ignition switch as well. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Also the oil/water light and buzzer comes on and when truck cuts off light comes in says engine downsounds like a sensor or safety featurecan you call my husband or can he call you he is with the truck
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I am not available for a phone call but can follow up as needed on here. I would check your coolant level and oil levels, as well as the sensors and wiring for any type of corrosion, damage, or open circuits.

There are a 1000 wires and we don't know where the sensors are located
We checked the levels where are the sensors located
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Your coolant level sensor is going to be on your coolant reservoir. What is the engine serial number and what chassis model is this Freightliner? Unfortunately, for some reason the only information that posted was that this is a 1995 Freightliner but no chassis model was posted. M2, FL60, FL70, FL80, etc? They are not all wired or built the same.

Vin#1FVXJBC1TL601005
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click the link below. Invalid VIN. Could you please provide the chassis model number and engine serial number prefix as I requested? I have answered on the initial troubleshooting checks. The additional information requested where it is more in depth troubleshooting and time involved, this normally would be added as a premium service for additional time and filesharing of publications. In order to even look up any diagrams or schematics, the engine serial number as well as the truck model information is necessary.