Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

We have another truck issue with the coolant system purging…

Hey Mike,We have another truck...
Hey Mike,We have another truck issue with the coolant system purging out of the pressure relief on the coolant tank. We have read that it could be a few issues. We have replaced the vent cap as a quick check, but that didn't work. We have also replaced the air compressor. we put clear line going out of the compressor, and saw that there was bubbles or aerated coolant leaving it. I realize now that we should have put on inlet and the outlet to see if that was happening before or during the pass through there. What other things can cause this? There are no other leaks on the truck and we find coolant drops and residue from that hose from that vent. We haven't done any oil testing on it.
5/14/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues with your truck. There are a few different things that I have found with these doing this. On the air compressor, I know it is not an easy task, but I usually route the coolant lines together and run the truck to isolate the issue. I have an extra coolant tank fill cap and placed a fitting in the center and connect a hose into a pop bottle. This way you can judge if the air in the coolant stops. You will naturally get a very small amount of air as the coolant heats up since it is pushing the air out of the surge tank for room. Another thing to look for is the egr cooler. 99% of the time you can pull the front side off and see if it is wet with coolant, Then you know it is the issue and it needs to be replaced. The last thing that I have seen is injector cups do this. Volvo/Mack has changed the sealant type used on the seat between the cup and the head and have changed the procedures many times over the years. The latest released last year, if it is followed it seems to be holding up good. When the cups are pulled you will see marks in the cup where a little bit of combustion has been passing by, I have seen a lot of these that will also cause an abrupt amount of air out of the test hose when the unit is shut off also when the cups leak. I have only seen one Volvo engine head gasket blown in the 20 years I have been working on them. And that was caused by an improper repair. I hope this helps you on the right path. Thank you.

We just ran the first test, so we did the coolant tank cap with a hose into a bottle of water. There were no bubbles until the engine was shut off like you said. There was a fair amount of bubbles upon shutdown.

Yeah, It is more than likely injector cups as long as the egr cooler is not showing signs of leaking. What happens is the air gets trapped in the turbulence from the water pump circulating and once shut off the air rushes upward.

Hey Mike, we found coolant in the EGR Cooler. Could that be our problem should we replace the EGR Cooler?

Yes, That could be your issue.

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Thank you for the help!