Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Trying to find the air suspension dump valve. The switch…

Trying to find the...

Trying to find the air suspension dump valve.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

The switch lights up when I flip it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

2012 Mack Pinnacle CXU613 VIN: *****************

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Truck Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't hear any air sounds when I flip the switch like I do when I flip the fifth wheel switch. Also the interaxle switch lights up when I flip the dump air switch.

5/7/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues with your truck. I know this can be frustrating. On your question. There is 2 places that the air suspension drop solenoid is located. This is located in an air solenoid pack. There will be between 2 and 5 solenoids mounted to a base, There will be one air line that is the supply for the base then each solenoid has its own line coming out. These solenoids are not always in the proper spot. I would take the 1/4 line off of the leveling valve so when the line is remove from the air solenoid you can blow into the line and see which one is free. The chassis solenoid pack is located in the left frame rail behind the transmission, or in between the drive axles. These do provide feedback for the switches so it they are not working, the switches will act up. I hope this helps you on the right path. Thank you

Ok I'll look into it. Thanks for the info. I was thinking the switch in the cab was an air switch but it appears it is an electric switch that operates an air solenoid. If I need more help do I text you here or start another chat?

Just send a message on this thread and I will get an alert about it. If I do not answer right back, I will as soon as I am available.

Lovely! I'm quitting for the night. I'll be on it in the morning. If you could send me links to websites with pictures of the items you mentioned I'd appreciate it.

Do you have the Vin number for this truck? I can use that to tell you right where it is on this one

I found the solenoid base. I've identified which solenoid has a 1/4" line going to the leveling valve. What is my next step?

Okay, There are 2 different options, You can try replacing the switch or swapping it with another one after marking which one it is and see if it works. If you go this route, Drain all the air out of the air system first. I have attached the schematic on this circuit, You can back probe the connector between the power and ground and see if you get power there with the key on and the switch activated. Then you know for sure you have an issue with the air solenoid.

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
I am using the fifth wheel mover switch to dump my air. the air dumps. But whenever the truck is in gear it fills the air bags which is unhandy. I have to stop before I back under the trailers to let it lower and then back under it quickly before the bags raise the truck.Is this because I'm using the fifth wheel solenoid and it's trying to keep the 5th wheel latched while the truck is in motion?So question is this: is the air dump solenoid wired to have the bags full anytime the truck is in gear?if so that means you can't drive the highway without air if you'd desire. If the solenoid is wired that way I'll skip replacing it and just run a physical air line to a manual switch in the cab

It is because you are using the Fifth wheel mover switch, That is a safety feature. The air bags are going to be direct connected. The only time they will air up on their own is if the bags are dropped and the key is turned off(only on certain configurations).

I suppose I could find the PTO solenoid and use that.Whenever I flip the locking interaxle switch it lights up the air dump switch. so that weird phenomenon I haven't looked into yet.ok thanks for the info.