Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have an 07 international 8600 with suspension dump issues.

I have an 07...

I have an 07 international 8600 with suspension dump issues. The leveling valve works fine, and the light stays solid on the switch, but it's not dumping any air. I can hear a click and a small puff of air from under the cab, but I can't flip the switch and look underneath at the same time. Do you know where the dump valve and solenoid are?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It's under the cab somewhere. This truck has been sitting for a while. Several months.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I disconnected the leveling valve and operated it manually, and its fine. The problem is either the dump valve itself or the solenoid controlling it. I just need to know where it's at.

4/28/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues with your truck. I know this can be frustrating. On your air suspension issue. This is most likely caused by the air solenoid. This solenoid is in an air pack with other solenoids. This solenoid pack will have between 1 and 5 solenoids on a plastic mount. You will need to take the air line off of the leveling valve and remove the air lines from the solenoids one at a time and blow air thru it so you know which solenoid is for that component. The reason for this is because any previous repair or manifold swap, the lines usually do not end up in the correct spots. This pack is usually located in the frame rail between the trans and the rear axle. Or if a tandem, in between the axles. I hope this helps you on the right path. Thank you

I found the value, and traced its line back to the leveling valve and it was cut and zip tied shut. I un pinched it and hooked it back up to the leveling valve. Now the suspension dumps, but won't air up.

So that solenoid is probably bad and that may have been why it was pinched off.

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
I found the problem. The value block