Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 3406e 2WS13950 the oil pressure dropped to 35 psi…

Customer Question
Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have a 3406e 2WS13950 the oil pressure dropped to 35 psi max, if went over 1500 rpm the "stop the engine" light would come on. The last oil change I found metal pieces in the magnet plug, so it was the 1st thing I checked again and found more, they look like teeth of a small gear (like 3/8 long by 1/8 thick) and some look like tiny springs, same size. Any idea what could be wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2000 Western Star 4900, engine 3406e

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Truck Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No at the moment

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
4/15/2020
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
The springs are most likely from the jake brake. Only place that has springs.
The teeth can be from the any of the gears on the front of the engine.
I would drop the oil pan and take a look up at the gear train.Please reply back if you need more help. I am happy to assist.
I already dropped the oil pan and remove the oil pump, everything looks ok. I also remove the engine brakes, but it looks ok as well, how can I check inside? Or what specific part shoul I look for?Can I send you a picture of the metal pieces?
Thanks for the information.
Yes. Attach a pic.
Should I attached or continue the conversation on the website ?
Thanks for the information.
The springs are not from the jake. I don’t recall seeing anything like that in a 3406E. Possibly someone dumped them in the engine?
The gear teeth can be from any on the front.
Thanks for replying, I drive locally and park in a gated parking, not very likely that somebody would dump springs on it. What about the low oil pressure?
Is it a part that have small gears?
Low oil pressure is often caused by fuel in the oil, relief valve in the oil filter base stuck open, or worn rod and main bearings.
Does the relief valve have small springs on it? How do I check if it stuck open?
Are still helping me? Can you please let me know? It's been a while since your last reply.