Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Engine serial number bxs35451 truck VIN is *****************

engine serial number bxs35451...
engine serial number bxs35451 truck VIN is ***************** truck died going down the road swaped fuel filters started with ether ran a couple minutes died had codes for all 6 injectors current high. towed to shop replaced ecm with two known good ones, no start replaced under valve cover harnesses no change. the truck will start once a blue moon at random but only runs a minute to 5 minutes then engine shuts down like you turn off key but gauges all on yet and all 6 codes pop back up? we cleaned all battery connections both positive and negative.
3/28/2020
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 2 years ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there . My name is ***** *****
Where do we go from here
This is a Cat c15 correct ?
twin turbo
Ok ... I recommend load testing the small harness leaving the battery box and going all the way up the left frame rail up to the ECM in the starter area . This is your ECM power feed harness . Likely there are issues with that harness. Check every connector along the way looking for loose or discolored terminals , dirt or corroded connections , corrosion somewhere in the wiring ....etc...
Can you tell me which pins should be powered at the ecm I have three that are powered and hold power while cranking. We did put a new ecm power harness in this truck two years ago the connectors all look good and are tight
Ok but have you double-checked the fuse holders in the battery box ? They were notorious for losing pin grip on the fuses and causing what you are experiencing
They look good and are clean a feel tight I cleaned the battery posts and eyelots on the wires. I have placed pins in from the backside of the truck side connector on ecm and all three keep power while cranking but truck won't start.
we should load test at the chassis side ECM Connector to be sure that good current is getting all the way up to the ECM in all areas ! Battery power , chassis grounds as well as the ignition side tooI will try and locate diagram for you so you know where to load test exactly at the ECM chassis side harness connector
If you could get me pin numbers so I am sure which ones require power I can load them but I'm not sure which pins are what.
I'll need some time but I will look this up and see what I can do for you sir
Thanks I'm not back at shop til Monday morning so if you get me info I'll test wires and let you know what happens
Two red wires are positive from the batteries at the top of page . The one white wire is the ground circuit from the batteries
Ok I'll load test them Monday morning and will see how it goes. You be around Monday again?
These are the battery constant power and the ground pins but I still need to locate the ignition pin
Ok I think I got all them if I remember correctly but I'll double check all them.
I found it ... Here is the ignition diagram to the same connector
Load tested three grounds three constant powers and one keyed power all will turn on an old headlight

When you are load testing , are you grounding using the ground pins and the power pins at the ecm connector to turn the headlight on ? And are you using both the high beam and the low beam to create a greater load ?

We should be using the circuits going to the ecm and not a ground anywhere else .

at ecm connector but only one beam I will do again with both beams

It should definitely light both beams with no effort. Same goes with ignition side . You might also want to leave the headlight plugged into the ignition side and wiggle test harness all the way up to the firewall to be sure you don't have an intermittent problem

Headlight turns on never blinks off when wiggling harness I used both beams this time also

Ok and the pins in the ecm connector look fine ? Not spread more than others ? And tug testing the wiring individually confirms that the terninals are indeed properly locked in the connector and cannot back out when reconnecting to the Ecm? Does the ECM pins look ok ?

Yeah all pins look normal I tugged on them none pull out wires all feel good.

Reconnect and try and connect to the ecm to read faults .

Cylinder 1 injector current high SID 1 FMI 6
same for all six injectors sid 1-6
J1939 device not responding SID 231 fmi12 but this code only shows up with test ecm off another truck but this truck has started and ran with this ecm for a few minutes

Clear faults .... If unit starts and runs , tell me what faults return ... Thanks

Cleared, cranked unit it popped once then just cranked for 20 seconds all six injector faults again and 1939 device not responding same codes

Is it 231-12 ?

What is the fault numbers ?

231-12
1-6
2-6
3-6
4-6
5-6
6-6

I will try and dig up info on codes then .

Let's go with sid 1- fmi 6 .... click here

Ok but codes don't come up til you crank engine for at least 15 seconds. And engine pops once like it gonna start

Correct ... this is when the ECM is picking up the problem and generates the faults . We need to diagnose on of these faults to see where it leads us .

Here is a breakdown on connectors at the valve cover ... Click here

I already installed under valve cover harness if you get me wiring I can load test from ecm to valve cover . Or what do we do?

Here is a connector view ... click here

Something must not be correct causing this to occur

Here is ecm view and pin id ... click here

We only have 70 pin connector on both sides of ecm

This is info I have according to vin number you gave me

• 2005
  • International
  • 9000 Series - 9400
  • Caterpillar C-15 ADEM A4/ACERT EPA04 6 CYL

Has the engine ever been replaced ?

Engine serial number bxs35451
No engine swap that we have history on

ok then . here is what I have for you . Click here

You will need to do harness resistance checks for each wire ... end to end to make sure they have continuity firstly ... then you want to make sure they have no continuity to chassis ground as you go through them as well .

Also want to make sure that there are no wires touching each other somewhere in the harness as well . For this , we want to check for any continuity between wires that are not supposed to have any . This is all in the injector wiring of course .

I still need pinout for ecm end of engine side harness

Click here . This is page 1 of the other one i just sent .

No crossed wires that shouldn't be none to ground

If nothing is found wrong with wiring , then the only thing left is ecm

Unless it has somehow lost its programming

I've tried two known good ecms. Always same result

Ok then something must be wrong with wiring . You eliminated ecm and programming as being the problem .

Or 6 faulty injectors ?

Have you tested the injectors ?

How would I test injectors? Truck died for owner going down the road. Can I test injectors in the truck?

I would measure the resistance of each injector coil and compare against each other . Also , I would test them against the ground . Coils should not have continuity to ground or case of injector .

Ohms are 1.3 on all injectors except number 4 it's 2.3 none are grounded or to case. I unplugged number four cleared codes cranked engine all six injector codes came up again as high even number 4
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician