Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2006 Peterbilt 387 with a cat c15 acert. Will crank…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Peterbilt 387 with a cat c15 acert. Will crank but will not start. Will start with Starter fluid. Found the 20 amp fuse coming off batteries. But the wire is broken under the frame. Can not find where the other broken part is. Do you know where this will tie into? Or which wire on the ecm harness ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2006 Peterbilt 387 Cat c15

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/26/2020
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

What is your engine serial number prefix?

MXS
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Between your battery box and your ECM, you will have the in-line fuse holder which is constant battery power to the ECM. You will also have switched ECM power as well as your grounds for the ECM to power up at key on. Verify that the check engine light is coming on in cycling at key on as it should which confirms that the ECM is powering up. If you grant me the engine serial number prefix, I should have some diagrams as well for the ECM pinouts. Also, check your engine speed sensor signal from your engine speed sensor as if you have a loss of engine speed signal, it will disable injection and cause an engine crank no start condition. Will this continue to run after it first fires off of starting fluid or is it only running on the starting fluid and then dies as soon as you remove the starting fluid?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click on this link.

SERVICE INFO

it only runs with start fluid no run on fuelthe engine prefix is rubbed off i can only make out the first lettersI have had a computer on it and it communicates with scanner, ( i dont have scanner right now) I have also replaced both cam sensors
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Those three letters is all I need. If you click on the word service info above, can download the diagram.

the check engine light is not on when key is on accessory
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Verify your power and grounds with a voltmeter and ohmmeter. Also load test them using a headlamp bulb to be sure it lights the bulb bright passing a load test. If all . If your power and grounds including your switched power checks out okay, verify engine speed signal and also verify that you have good fuel supply to the fuel pump with no leaks or restrictions. If you have good fuel supply, all of your power and grounds check good to the ECM, you also have engine speed signal, it leans towards a possible faulty ECM. At that point see if you can obtain a known good one from another truck to use as a test ECM or send yours out be tested and checked.

do you know which pins are power and ground?
I have very good fuel pressuealso I found a fuse in the battery box, with a broken corroded wire, But i can not find where it goes. It is a red and black wire
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I will open up the schematic that I posted and confirm those for you.

sorry i didnt even see it
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

On switched battery pin 48, 52, 53
switched battery pin 70
grounds 63, 65, 67

Let me know if you have any trouble accessing the link at the words previously in our chat "SERVICE INFO"

Pin 70 is doing thisThere other wire all feed back into one wire and all have power and ground.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Pin 70 should have power at ignition switch on.

It doesBut when key is off, it seems like its grounding out
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The key is off there should be no power there. If you were to check continuity to ground, you are going to read likely high resistance because of the components in the circuit but you will get a reading to ground. If you were to unplug the ECM connector after disconnecting the batteries, and tested from that pin on the connector when disconnected from the ECM, you shouldn't get any continuity to ground and if you do,. It's an indication of a short in the wiring .