Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I just bought a 2013 Mack granite quad axle dump truck, 1…

Customer Question
Hey pal I just bought...
Hey pal I just bought a 2013 Mack granite quad axle dump truck, 1 regular pusher and the other lifter is a tag, brand new tires on the tag. Was running it loaded today for the first time and every time I hit the brakes the tag axle started bouncing and shaking real bad, literally feels like it’s bouncing like a basketball back there. But only when I hit the brakes. I just had 2 new tires put on the tag axle yesterday, do you think it’s something to do with that, or is the air pressure not set right or something? Or something to do with the brakes on that axle? I appreciate any help you can give
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/7/2020
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Ok thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Try cutting back on the air pressure on the tag some and check all your tire pressures as well. Have the suspension bushings checked as well in case there are some worn bushings causing play in that axle. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Yea I read both of those tip online, but it just doesn't possible that it could bounce like that with a full load on the truck? This may be a stupid question, I'm pretty new to the business this is my first truck, but do the pusher/tag axles have brakes or are they just there to help distribute the weight?Here is another possibly dumb question, I didn't think to drive it with the pusher and tag down while it was empty. On either of the items you just recommended that I check out, would the tag axle still bounce like that without a load? Would knowing if it still does it without a load help at all in ruling out and/or identifying the possible issues?
Is that the only answer I get?What should the pressure in the drive axle tires be? The same for the tag and pusher or should they be at a different pressure? Any idea about what approximately the air pressure the tag axle should be set at? Thanks for all your help buddy sorry for all the questions!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi, I just logged back in as I mentioned in my initial post professionals are not employees of the site so on occasions I may have to step out for my regular work or other scheduled things that I have going on but I will always respond back on my next available login. Let me go over your last few responses and I will put my thoughts together and see if I can help you out further as it seems like you still need some further help. We can follow up as needed on here so no worries.

The axles do have brakes and they are they are to distribute weight. The amount of additional weight you would be allowed to haul with the tag axle down is listed on the Federal motor carrier's website.

On average you will normally see them set between 50 to 60 psi depending on the weight you are carrying as you may need to decrease or increase the pressure to the ground on the tag depending on its handling. I would check your suspension bushings on your tag axle because if your tag axle has worn bushings, this could contribute to your bouncing. If everything is tight on your bushings for your tag axle, make sure all of your tire pressures set evenly and do not run the tag axle when you are empty as it should only be used to haul additional weight.

Okay thank you for your continued help, and patience with my lack of knowledge about this stuff. This is my first time to use this service, I didn't mean to sound rude. I was just asking about driving it unloaded with the tag down only for the purposes of diagnosing this issue. Like if it still bounced with it down it could mean that it is/is not ____ blank. But you're saying never drive with it down with the truck empty for any reason? As I said earlier I just had 2 new tires put on the tag axle yesterday, they put the same size on as it had previously, but do you think that the new tires could have something to do with it? Unfortunately I hadn't driven it with a load before I had the new ones put on. Also I should mention, I drove the truck from Knoxville to Little Rock last Saturday and it drove/road just perfectly. I don't know if you would even know that there was a problem with that bushing just by going down the road unloaded but just thought I would mention. As for checking the tightness of the bushings, is that something I can do myself? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for but I am somewhat mechanically inclined, do you know if there's a picture or diagram online somewhere I could reference? Thanks again for all your help!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
When you get a chance and are at the truck grab the model information for your tag axle and let me know what make and model tag axle is on the truck. See if it might be a Hendrickson and if so grab the information off of the tag as there might be a manual that we could come up with for that tag axle. In either case, The bushings are going to be where the tag axle mounts at the hinge points opposite of the airbag side. If those pins and bushings are worn out allowing movement of the tag axle that could cause some bouncing around.They would pretty much take a large pry bar or crowbar to try to wedge in between that hinge area to see if you can get movement out of the bushings where it connects.
It's a gold bulldog, doesn't that mean all Mack, or not on axles?Wouldnt it bounce around all the time? This is only happening when I hit the brakes
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The badge on the truck doesn't mean all components are Mack unfortunately. Mack makes some of their own suspension components but also Hendrickson and others. As I have mentioned, next time you are near your truck look for a tag on your tag axle to identify its make and model information.I have been a heavy equipment and truck technician since 1994. I also worked for a Mack and Peterbilt dealership along the road. A lot of these truck manufacturers use universal components between them as far as engines, transmissions, rear ends, suspension components, etc. the cab and chassis are the major differences with exception to Mack which makes of lot of their own components but not all, including suspension tag axles.A majority of them are Hendrickson.

Ok I just took a bunch of pictures for you. Here's something I just noticed, hadn't really thought of, the axle is made for dual tires on each side and it only has one per side, that wouldn't be causing it would it
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I also recommend having all your brakes adjusted as well. Check all the things that I have suggested and have them either confirmed or condemned from the equation. Adjust your air pressure for your bags on the tag axle which controls the down pressure on the ground, have your brakes adjusted, make sure all your tire pressures are accurate as well as checking all of your bushings.

It depends on if that tire is a super single which are very wide tires or if you only have a single regular size tire. If that is the case, I would put duels on it or run a super single. Running a regular sized single tire on your tag axle is going to also limit the amount of weight that the tag axle is going to support as well.

Right I understand about the weight limit stuff but do you think that only having the two tires could be the problem? I'm pretty sure they are not super singles. As you can see in those pictures everything looks pretty good under there, at least to me. Truck has 250k miles, 10k hours
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
No picture came through but if it was a super single it would be one fat tire the size of both tires put together. So if you have only two tires on there then yes that is going to be a big part if not all of your problem. There is no weight distribution there.
It's just a single tire
Customer attachment 3/7/2020 3:32:16 AM
7b27460d-825c-48bc-8224...jpeg7b2746...jpeg4f66a743-9135-44a3-bcce...jpeg4f66a7...jpeg5a101035-577e-40ee-9f99...jpeg5a1010...jpeg5e665e94-e1ea-4f56-a585...jpeg5e665e...jpeg4c4e101d-a7c1-4d37-b3e2...jpeg4c4e10...jpegbc48e045-d5a8-4aa3-8827...jpegbc48e0...jpeg
I resent the pics not sure if they came through or not. It didn't have duals on it when I got it, I just put one tire on each side like it was when I got it but I could see where the air pressure would definitely need to be adjusted with only running the two single tires on there with a full load. Here is my last question and I'll leave you alone, I'm supposed to work tomorrow and Sunday, would you consider it safe to do so without getting those other two tires until Monday? Should I just keep the tag axle up and run it with the weight of a tri?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
You can run it for as long as you want with the tag axle up as long as you're legal and within The weight limits you're hauling.I am actually on my way out the door as well because it's 10:40 at night Eastern standard Time. Professionals are not employees of the website but users of the site like yourself.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Keep me posted on how you make out when you do get a full set of duals on that tag axle. Also keep in mind that there is very little weight running singles on that tag which allows it to also bounce more since most of the ground pressure is from your airbag. You should notice quite a difference with either a super single or duals.Enjoy your weekend and it's been a pleasure working with you on this.

Thanks brother, will do. Did those pics ever come through? Just wondering if everything looked like it should to you. Thanks for all your help, have a good weekend!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes sir, I got all of your pictures. thanks for those. Enjoy your weekend.