Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a N14 Cummins select that I shut off for about an…

I have a N14...

I have a N14 Cummins select that I shut off for about an hour and when I went to go restart it it would not start. It has been having a little bit of a doggie idol so I suspected a fuel shut off solenoid but when I check for voltage at the solenoid it shows 0 volts so I unhook the wire running to it and it also shows 0 volts just for good measure I hook the jumper lead directly from the starter to the fuel shut off solenoid and it's still won't start. At this point I'm suspecting did I have a bad ECM or in this case ICM I guess LOL. I was wondering what your thoughts are? Thank you very much!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Unknown. This engine is a transplant end of the truck and the plate that displays information has long since become impossible to read however it is a 1998 Kenworth w900l it had a Cummins celect plus in it and the engine was changed out along with the computer because it came complete

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I appreciate it thank you

3/1/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues with your truck. I know this can be frustrating. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I will be right back with you. Thanks

Thank you

Here is the wiring diagram for that circuit. I would also make sure the ecm power supply is fine. If the CEL is coming on at key on everytime then the ecm power supply should be fine. If the fuel shut off valve is shorted, the ecm will not send voltage out on that circuit. Make sure also, that there is no other wires connected to the stud for the shut off valve. Any other load on that circuit can cause an issue. If all of this checks out and the integrity of the wire is good then I would try a test ecm if you can locate one. I hope this helps you on the right path. Thank you.

No check engine light comes on when key is cycledWhich lead runs the power to the ecm?
Pin 21 is what I'm reading if I'm reading correctlyThank you. I'll check and keep you posted. Thank you

Pins 20-23

Is it the rear plug closest to the engine on top?

Yes

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Thank you. It was a blown fuse that I couldn't see that was running to the ecm.
It was tied up in the harness.
Thanks again