Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

When pushing in knob squirter don't work and wipers stay on,

Customer Question
When pushing in knob...

When pushing in knob squirter don't work and wipers stay on, have to turn key off to stop the wipers

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1990 379 peterbilt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing myself

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/10/2020
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

When you push in the windshield washer, see if you hear the electric motor coming on for the pump. If you do not hear the pump, you will want to inspect the wiring going to the pump and then test for voltage at the pump to see if you are getting voltage at the pump when someone is pushing the windshield washer switch. If there is power there but the pump is not working and you have also confirmed that it has good ground, replace the faulty pump. If there is no power there, thoroughly inspect the wiring for any broken wires or other problems. Check all of your fuses and relays as well as the switch for continuity in both the open and closed positions. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

I HAVE PUT A NEW SWITCH IN, PROBLEM DIDNT CHANGE, PUT IN A DIFFERENT USED MOTOR, STILL NO CHANGE
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Thanks for the update. Neither of those were part of my suggestions but at least we know that it's not the switch or motor. Use a voltage tester and own meter to test the circuit for voltage and also for continuity throughout the wiring for a potential wiring problem, relay problem, or fuse. Verify that you have good ground within the circuit as well.
I will
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Sounds good and you're very welcome.