Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2008 Cat C7 S/N: C7S06375. Dedicated PTO configuration set…

2008 Cat C7 S/N...

2008 Cat C7 S/N: C7S06375. Dedicated PTO configuration set to remote switches. When close the PTO switch ECM 56 PTO On/Off to ECM 3 Sensor common ground. Wont turn on dedicated PTO. PTO parameter stays off in computer. What am i missing?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2008 Ford F-750 Caterpillar C7

1/25/2020
Technician: cat_engines_only, Other replied 2 years ago
cat_engines_only

Hello, I am sorry no one has helped you. I haven't done much truck work but, I do work on CAT machines.

If you can upload a product start report from ET, I can review it to see if any configuration stands out.

I did notice this note when I began searching for solutions for this problem.

The "Aftertreatment Regeneration Device PTO Mode Stationary Regeneration" parameter must be programmed to "ENABLED" in order for stationary regenerations to occur during PTO operation. Factory passwords are required in order to change the value of this parameter.

A stationary regeneration occurs during PTO operation when all of the following conditions are met:

"Level 1" soot load or higher

Coolant temperature is greater than 60 °C (140 °F).

Exhaust temperature is greater than 100 °C (212 °F).

The clutch pedal is disengaged.

The transmission is in neutral.

The parking brake is on.

The PTO clutch is engaged.

The ARD force switch is properly activated.

The duration of the stationary regeneration during PTO operation depends on engine speed and other operating conditions.

Engine Speed

Stationary regeneration during PTO operation can occur at any engine speed between low idle and the top engine limit. Stationary regeneration occurs at the programmed speed.

Operation of the Cooling Fan During Stationary Regeneration

If the ECM is controlling the cooling fan, the cooling fan is engaged during stationary regeneration.

"PTO Configuration"

The "PTO Configuration" parameter determines the features that are available and the input signals that are used for dedicated PTO applications. If this parameter is programmed to "Off", the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not use the following configurations for the PTO. In order for the ECM to utilize the remaining parameters for the PTO configuration, a PTO on/off circuit must be connected to an appropriate input of the ECM.

If the "PTO Configuration" parameter is programmed to "Cab Switches", the ECM will use the signals from the following two cab switches for PTO and cruise control:

J1/P1-35 PTO set switch

J1/P1-44 PTO resume switch

If the "PTO Configuration" parameter is programmed to "Remote Switches", the ECM will monitor the inputs that have been programmed for the remote control switches. All cab switches that are used for PTO control will be ignored when the PTO on/off circuit is on.

If the "PTO Configuration" parameter is programmed to "Remote Throttle", the ECM will monitor J1/P1-68 Input #8 for the remote throttle input. The ECM will monitor the inputs that have been programmed for the remote control switches. All cab switches for the PTO control will be ignored when the PTO on/off circuit is on.

Table 1

Default Alternative

Off Cab Switches

Off Remote Switches

Off Remote Throttle

Thank you for the response. I wasn’t watching my email because I thought I would be receiving a text message reply. Unfortunately I am using Texa software for ECM monitoring and parameter changes. I am in the process of squiring Cat ET as we speak. I’m going to check and be sure the ECM I out has not been changed to a different pin in the ECM programming. When I get ET setup I’ll get a product report to you. Your I formation here was very valuable to me. I’ll get back when I have more info on my end. Thank you

Ok, thanks. Please note these questions will go dead in a few days. You can post back and keep it open for a little longer and we can pick up where we left off.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

cat_engines_only