Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 12/95 M11 celect plus, engine tag set in .014, out…

I have 12/95 M11...

I have 12/95 M11 celect plus, engine tag set in .014, out .027, .025 inj. How do set the injector? I bar engine over A, and set injector 1 and both valves. I made sure the intake and exhust were loose, then loosen all set screws on that cyl, then I bottom out the injector 3 time, then back it out 2 flats or 2 points, "mine does not have the flat screws. With that being said, if you look at other way to time, where you set 1 injector, then two valves on another cyl always has lash on them.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Enigine 34802773, its in a Volvo

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I changed all the injectors except number 2, turn rans like it straving fuel at 60 to 65 mph

1/20/2020
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Hello Thank You for using Just Answer. You have an electronic engine therefore this is how you set the overhead,Rotate the accessory drive clockwise until the “A” valve set mark on the accessory drive pulley is aligned with the pointer on the gear cover.

Each cylinder has three rocker levers:

• The long rocker lever (E) is the exhaust lever.
  • The center rocker lever is the injector lever.
  • The short rocker lever (l) is the intake lever.

Set the injector on the same cylinder before setting valves.

The valves and injectors on the same cylinders are adjusted at the same index mark on the accessory drive pulley.

One pair of valves and one injector are adjusted at each pulley index mark before rotating the accessory drive to the next index mark.

Two crankshaft revolutions are required to adjust all the valves and injectors.

Do not use excessive force when bottoming the plunger.

Loosen the injector adjusting screw locknut. Using a screwdriver (box end wrench, if equipped with engine brakes) and the adjusting screw, bottom the injector plunger three or four times to remove the fuel.

Turn the adjusting screw in until you can feel it just bottom the plunger.

Back out the adjusting screw two flats, 120 degrees. Hold the adjusting screw, and tighten the locknut.

Torque Value: 61 n•m [ 45 ft-lb ] After setting the injector, set the valves on the same cylinder.

Ok, copy understand, whats the procedure for same engine, rock arm end play, and torque spec for bolts

You took all that off to change injectors?

It just look, like a lot of play on one end, tight on the other end of a set.

Ok,

The rocker lever shafts are labeled front and rear on the end of the shafts. The arrows on the shafts must be pointed downward to make sure an oil flows to the rocker levers.

The shaft end supports are not interchangeable.

The rocker lever assemblies must be installed in the engine so they are in same position as they were removed from.

Install the assemblies on the engine.

Hand tighten the mounting capscrews at this time. The rocker lever side clearance 20 thousands, must be adjusted before the capscrews are tightened to their final torque value.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number five rocker lever support toward the front of the engine.

Tighten the mounting capscrews at this time.

Torque Value: 5 n•m [ 45 in-lb ]

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 inch] feeler gauge between the number five support and the intake lever for the number four cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number six support toward the front of the engine.

Tighten the mounting capscrews.

Torque Value: 5 n•m [ 45 in-lb ]

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 inch] feeler gauge between the number six support and the exhaust lever for the number five cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number seven support toward the front of the engine.

Tighten the mounting capscrews.

Torque Value: 5 n•m [ 45 in-lb ]

Install a 0.5 mm [0.020 inch] feeler gauge between the number seven support and the intake lever for the number six cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number eight support toward the front of the.

Tighten the Number 5, 6, 7, and 8 support capscrews to their final torque.

Cast Iron--[135 ft-lb]

Aluminum--[ 90 ft-lb]

Push or use a hammer to tap the number four support toward the rear of the engine.

Tighten the mounting capscrews.

Torque Value: 5 n•m [ 45 in-lb ]

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 inch] feeler gauge between the number four support and the intake lever for the number three cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number three support toward the rear of the engine.

Tighten the mounting capscrews.

Torque Value: 5 n•m [ 45 in-lb ]

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 inch] feeler gauge between the number three support and the exhaust lever for the number two cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number two support toward the rear of the engine.

Tighten the mounting capscrews.

Torque Value: 5 n•m [ 45 in-lb

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 inch] feeler gauge between the number two support and the intake lever for the number one cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number one support toward the rear of the engine.

Tighten the Number 1, 2, 3, and 4 support capscrews to their final torque.

Cast Iron--[135 ft-lb]

Aluminum--[ 90 ft-lb]

When rev engine to 15 rpm, this is about 60 to 63, then engine acts its starving for fuel. I change a the fuel pump, about 1 month ago, same truck, the shaft was spending when I got the old one off. engine revs fine up to 15, but if I try to hold it a 15 Rmp, it like it straving for fuel

Are you getting any check engine lights, Have you checked the turbo, air filter and fuel inlet restriction? Try isolating the fuel system hook a fuel line direct to the pump and run off a 5 gal bucket of fuel to see if it is an engine problem or fuel supply issue. (Hard to do the unit cannot act up stationary) Unless you run a external fuel supply line to the fuel tank direct to the pump inlet fitting zip tie line to unit and run the unit down the road with the fuel system bypassed

Ok, I will try later this evening.

ok

Something still not rigth, after I set the inj and valves, on all cylinders. Should the inj plunger at some point have zero lash. Bottom the inj, and back it off 2 flats, does products zero lash at no point.

if you Bottom the inj to the point it stopped WITHOUT FORCING IT ALL THE WAY, and back it off 2 flats that's it.

Truck run smooth, but want run pass 60 mph, all inj has been changed, but one, but all are firing. Boost 25 psi, temp off turbo what get hotter than 200 degrees.

ok. did you isolate the fuel system and do any checks i mentioned.

Customer attachment 1/22/2020 7:21:25 PM
eb30dfc3-24dc-4247-8076...jpegeb30df...jpeg2b2e1787-01d6-4fae-898a...jpeg2b2e17...jpeg729cde71-f89c-4b22-b581...jpeg729cde...jpeg7d780dcf-97d6-4071-97d4...jpeg7d780d...jpeg

did this issue just start or is this a unit with no history and you are trying to get it going ?

Truck was out of service since last winter, due to bad air compressor, once new compressor installed, ran the truck, then a fuel leak, it turned out to be bad fuel pump, no leaks now. I'll try to fuel the truck at fuel filter inlet and will advise tommrow.
that mean, .022 lash, before the rocker touches the injector plunger. Bottoming out and backing out 2 flats does not give me any lash, at 1st I thought, I should do one injector at its highest point, then 6lbs, and two valve on another cylinder to time it. Because I don't have the 6 point bolt with 6 point lock nut. Its 12/95 manufacturing date, could it be a split year, when procedure changed.

You are fine. A celect plus engine is the same procedure for all years. That is what you have.If you set the injector properly as described avove you are fine. You have screws instead of hex because the engine was not built with engine brakes.

Mechanical engines use STC injectors (NOT ELECTRONIC) and get set 6inlbs and different cylinders Don't try that on your engine.

Copy, understand

From what i can see in the pic you sent you have all the injectors I can see. set properly. Shoot me a pic of the rockers straight on. so i can see the adjustment screws. better. if you can

Tomorrow I will send pic, so another way to look at this, the point .022 injector lash is the space between the injector and its bottom stroke.

correct by turning back 120 deg the setting is within the spec set by cummins. as i showed you in that pic. Check your cam lobes too while tyou are in there just good practice,

Copy

ok

That is the valve crosshead an the oval goes toward the exhaust side

In both valves, oval towards exhaust

yes.

Ok, I will rerun the rack, and check all of them

ok

cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Units had hot missed, R&R all injector and the rocker end play was off, truck now has smooth rev range 1 to 1700. Thank you much.

You are Welcome. Please request me anytime. Thank You

Thanks, ***** ***** sabotage, Chain link plastic fencing pieces?