Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Cat man I have a c13 in a International truck that before it…

Cat man I have a...
Cat man I have a c13 in a International truck that before it warms up will run ruff and miss and blow some white smoke I have a feeling it is the vva’s it has no codes. when it warms up fully runs just fine vin engine serial number KCB83800
1/7/2020
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
It’s very possible it’s an Iva. I’ve seen it many times. If it is, sometimes you can cut out one cylinder at a time to determine which cylinder is misfiring. Then swap the Iva housing to another set of cylinders to verify it’s an Iva.Please reply back if you need more help. I am happy to assist.
you think I need the whole house ing or just the solenoids was thinking about just replacing all of the solenoids or will that not do any good
I would not suspect a solenoid. Normally when it’s a solenoid there is a code.
Why when it warms up does it run fine
The Iva and oil get warm.
It could also be a head gasket. I have seen them barely blow and only run poorly when cold. When it gets warm. It seals back and runs good.
I presure tested it a wile back looking for Leaks that it had around the oil cooler held 20 psi for over half a daySeems like this only happens when it’s a little colder out side
Many times it can blow and not get into the cooling system. It blows between cylinders.
Ok I’ll check it out more
10-4
Cat man can you give me the procedure for adjusting the valves and Jake brake on this engine
I can do that.
Cat man I do have some inactive code for the Iva
Sid 284 fmi 7 flash code 94
Pid 385 fmi 1 low intake valve actuations system oil pressure
Do you have any suggestions for these codes
Can you double check 284-7? It’s not on my list.
385-1 is low Iva system oil pressure. This is often caused by a large oil leak at an Iva
The description says intake valve actuator # 6 not respondingSays it’s flash code 94
Thanks for the information.
94 indicates a faulty with the 5/6 cylinder Iva.
Should I just change out that Iva/Jake houseing for that bank
i would.
What is the torque spec for the housing
75 foot pounds.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Cat man do you set the Jake brake the same time you set the Iva on the same cycl
Cat man do you set the Jake the same time you set the Iva on the same channel or do you do it when you can adjust the ex valve
You set them with the intake or exhaust valve.
Thanks for your help much appreciate
You are very welcome. I am happy I could help.
Cat man is there updated rocker studs for the c13 like the c15
No. The c15 only had an update.
Cat man i need to replace the front injector harness on this engine but it did not come with a connection for the Iva presure sensor would you happen to know the part number for that looks like I just need a jumper conection to get the to the pressure sensors from a little conector that I zipp tied to the middle of the harnes they gave me
Sorry. I do not.
Have you seen that before
No. It’s sounds like they gave you the wrong harness.