Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 98 379 that the fan wont kick on after an inframe…

Customer Question
I have a 98...

I have a 98 379 that the fan wont kick on after an inframe new water pump, thermostats, new sensors. On the computer it says fan is constantly on

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Peterbilt(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I’ve put a new water pump

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Truck has new solenoid as well & it does nothing
1/6/2020
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question. I am sorry that you are having issues with your truck. I know this can be frustrating. I will do everything I can to help you out. Can we please start with what engine you have in your truck? Thank you
3406E 1LW 98 peterbilt 379
Were all 2 or 3 sensors replaced on the thermostat housing? Are you able to kick the fan on manually with the scan tool you are using?
38; i can only turn it on with the dash switch. It also does turn on with the ac
How hot is the coolant temp getting to? The dash switch is normally wired in parallel with the thermostatic switch
194 is what the computer says
Are you getting a check engine light at all?
now i am code 110-3
That fault is for coolant temp sensor open or shorted. I would examine the wiring between the sensor and the ecm. I’m sure something was disturbed during the engine work. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you
Sensor was unplugged but fan is at 210 & still wont turn onI got it to 217 & it didn’t switch on
Is that fault still present? Are you able to make sure the thermistor can change state at the thermostat housing
No the fault is gone, what I’m l
Because the thermistor on the housing is what controls the engine fan.