Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 98 379 that the fan wont kick on after an inframe…

Customer Question
I have a 98...

I have a 98 379 that the fan wont kick on after an inframe new water pump, thermostats, new sensors. On the computer it says fan is constantly on

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Peterbilt(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I’ve put a new water pump

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
It has a 3406E 1LW
1/6/2020
Technician: james Roberts, Maintenance assistant replied 2 years ago
james Roberts
james Roberts, Maintenance assistant
That should be engaged by air from the truck. If you're air is built up, with the hood open turn your key on and off. Don't start and just listen and you should hear it engage and them dump the air each cycle. If you don't there may be an issue with the solenoid that controls it. You can find the solenoid by tracking the airline back from the fan clutch, usually is pretty close to it. Make sure that is plugged in and has air to it. The wires should just be a 2 wire setup with 1 power and 1 ground. If you have 12v there and air pressure the solenoid is probably bad. You can also remove the air line at the fan clutch to see if air is getting there, if it is the clutch may be bad and need replaced. Hope this helps and good luck. Any other questions please ask
Changed solenoid & it still doesn’t turn on
Were u able to disconnect the air line at the clutch hub to see if air was coming out with key on?