Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Can you please tell what can be the problem. i have 2 codes,

Customer Question
Hello. can you please...

Hello. can you please tell what can be the problem. i have 2 codes, spn 5443 fmi 7 and 5443 fmi 13

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Volvo vnl, 670, 2013, d13 im in the middle of the road, have 3 dys to drive home. dont know what to do. will i still make it. please advise

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/25/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 2 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question. I am sorry that you are having issue with your truck. I know this can be frustrating. The spn 5443 fault is for the 7th injector system. The fmi 7 is for mechanical system not responding and the 13 is for calibration value out of range. There are multiple possible causes for this fault including a bad 7th injector, plugged dpf, bad aftertreatment shut off valve, bad ahi module, too much air pressure going to the ahi module. The problem with these faults is the unit will not run a regen. This unit will probably not make the 3 day trip if it is unable to regen. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you
Thank you!
My pleasure. Have a good day
Im sorry. I have several more question upon your advices. please tell me some details
1) What exactly do you mean,** fmi 7 is for mechanical system not responding**?
2) fmi 13 is for calibration value out of range, Do we have to do calibration by computer?
We had cleaned DPF filter, now its low soot level.- that can not cause the problem
We also just replaiced the AHI modul
3) What can cause high air pressure on AHI modul.?
4) bad aftertreatment shut off valve, where is exactly that shut off valve? whats the best otion to have it tested?if you can please answer me these 4 question, i will be Kindly Appriciated. Thank you!!!!If you can please type it for me, then its eaiser for me to follow everything. thank you!!
Each fault code has an FMI. That stands for “failure mode identifier”. It tells what went wrong with the fault when it faulted. The 7 means mechanical systems not responding. So either the 7th injection system is unable to dose enough fuel or it is unable to get enough fuel to it. The ahi module has a 1/4 air line going to it. That air pressure must be between 36-40 psi. This is fed by a regulator that mounts to the air dryer bracket. If the ahi module was replaced you must do a learned data reset with a pc or scanner. That may be where your 13 and 7 could be coming from. The shut off valve is a part within the ahi module.
thank you!
how can we check/test air pressure? so it has enough psionly by computer?
No, you need to have a pressure gauge with a 1/4 air fitting on it and manually check it with the vehicle air system aired all the way up
does 7th injector works all the time? or it only working wile idle and the truck is parked? or its working all the time even when the truck is rolling on the road?
It works all the time stationary and as a supplement on passive
sorry, one more question.
i got another fault code ; SPN 2659 FMI 18
what can it be?
thank youwere is that valve where i can check the pressure, the one we spoke before
thank you
I see two pipes, one at the bottom, one at the top.
On the 2659 fault I’m sorry but you will need to create another question for that. We are only allowed to answer and provide information for the original question. The ahi module is the one you stated was replaced. That is on the rear lower driver side corner of the engine. There is one black 1/4 line going into it
thank you.
i have messured the pressure. its exactly 50 psi. is it too high ? if yes, what can it cause?
that is too high. The cause is the regulator that is mounted to the rear of the air dryer
Hello, we have changed the regulator, now the pressure is 40psi.
5343 fmi 7 still on, together with 2659 fmi 18.
I understand that 2659 fmi 18, is a separate question. But what can still cause 5343 fmi 7?
Thank you
What is all the resets performed after addressing these items?