Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2009 C13 that is giving me issues. My EGT #2 sensor…

Customer Question
I have 2009 C13...

I have 2009 C13 that is giving me issues. My EGT #2 sensor (flame sensor) in the ARD is reading 31.9 degrees on PIDs. I replaced sensor with OEM CAT sensors and same thing. Took wiring harness apart and traced all wiring no obvious problems. I even swapped ECMs with a known good one and same issue. PIDs read 31.9. All others reading writhing normal limits.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat C13 LEE13080

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/20/2019
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Do you have any faults logged as well?

Only fault code is dpf unable to regenerate low exhaust temperaturesDPF sensors both read above 850 during regen attempts
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

By chance do you have the fault code numbers with the FMI number? It would be helpful and me pulling them up in my index for any troubleshooting information that I may be able to provide you.

311-14
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Common codes for low temp are:

Code 3832-17 Secondary Air Mass Flow Low for low air supply to the ARD head causing failed regens, and it can also cause code 3711-31.

Code 3711-31 Active Regen inhibited or stopped from low exhaust temperature meaning temperature is too low to get rid of the SOOT in the DPF.

Inspect your air supply to the ARD head to be sure there are no restrictions and also check for any leaks for the mass airflow sensor. It is possible that the sensor could be faulty and reading wrong but you will want to remove it to inspect it. This can throw that fault code. I recommend performing the ARD combustion air test which will help you further isolate this particular fault code.

What would cause the PID to read 31.9 degrees with no change?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

This could be a problem with the Sensor or you could potentially have a software calibration issue requiring an ECM reflash of the software if you're Sensor and wiring harness check out okay.