Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Australia - I have an Isuzu NKR57E light truck (4½ tonne)

Australia - I have...

Australia - I have an Isuzu NKR57E light truck (4½ tonne) 1986. Want to inspect the brake drums and pads. Have the rear wheels off, but an't see how the drum comes off. Suspect I may have to remove the axle, then take the hub off the wheel bearing. Correct ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Truck Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this stage. Haven't looked at the front wheels to see how they come off. They're also drum brakes, I think.

The base of the wheel studs have 2 flat sides (see photos). The drum/hub has a raised "band" either side of the studs, only about couple mm high which is scalloped out (radiused), I assume so that the studs can be turned (screwed in/out ?).
I cannot see any obvious join between the brake drum and the bearing hub.
I cannot see if the 3 photos have been attached ?
10/26/2019
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today my name is spanky.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

You need to remove the 6 axle nuts then use a sledgehammer to hit the axle until it pops out then remove the axle nuts and lock.

As far as the flat part of the stud that is to hold the stud when changing them there will be nuts visible once the hub is removed to separate the drum from the hub

Thank you for using our site!
If you need to continue or if there is anything else I can assist with
at all, let me know here and I will be happy to assist further!

I assume "6 axle nuts" are the nuts holding the axle end flange onto the hub ? I had previously undone those nuts; the cup washers were easy to loosen and the axle popped out easily (I have since re-installed it). I assume under the axle end flange, covered in grease, is a large nut holding the hub onto the axle housing stub ?
your statement "then remove the axle nuts and lock" is not clear to me. Is English your first language ? I assume you mean the axle bearing nut (singular) and a locking tab washer of some sort ?
In any case, can you confirm that the hub and brake drum are one piece and that the unit has to be remove from the wheel bearings ?

I'll try and break it down by each question.

I assume "6 axle nuts" are the nuts holding the axle end flange onto the hub ? YES

I assume under the axle end flange, covered in grease, is a large nut holding the hub onto the axle housing stub ? Yes there may also be a seal to remove under the grease to get to the axle nuts and lock tab washer

Yes English is my only language

I assume you mean the axle bearing nut (singular) and a locking tab washer of some sort ? Yes

The hub and brake drum are 2 pieces but you need to remove the hub to get to the nuts on the backside of the drum to separate the hub from the drum.

Yes, it needs to be removed to get to the brakes.

No, phone call not necessary. Your last message was clear and I'm sorry if I cast assertions on your English. I suppose nuts (plural) could be correct if there is a couple of large diameter nuts on the same thread (one being a locking nut), with some sort of locking washer between or under them ? ... so again, my apologies.
Would you know where I could get hold of a workshop manual for this truck ? Electronic copy would be wonderful, especially if it is searchable text (as apposed to a scanned image copy). Its an NKR57E with a 4BC2 3.3 Litre engine - 06/86. It's possibly very similar to an Isuzu Elfie series or other N series trucks. Not sure if the model was sold in other countries than Australia. I suspect so, but maybe under a different model ID. It also has a GMH compliance plate (Australia GM). Isuzu and GM had a joint venture here for awhile. Unfortunately electronic documents weren't routine back in the 80s ... so not common.
Half hour before midnight here, so I assume your over on the east coast (US) somewhere, otherwise your up fairly early ?

I suppose nuts (plural) could be correct if there is a couple of large diameter nuts on the same thread (one being a locking nut), with some sort of locking washer between or under them?

The nuts are on the backside to each wheel stud

I don't know about the manuals for this off the top of my head you may want to ask another question as we are only allowed to address one issue per thread per company policy.

I'm around Chicago and I'm usually up early.

Thank you

spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman