Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2004 Kenworth with a C15 cat single turbo MBN20934. cranks…

Customer Question
2004 Kenworth with a...

2004 Kenworth with a C15 cat single turbo MBN20934. cranks but wont' start. Changed the fuel pump, checked fuel pressure, 95psi. Checked the power to the ECM, pin 70 12V 63/65/67 grounds show good. constant power is good as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Don't get any check eng light when i turn on the key, and don't get any flash codes when i toggle the cruise control switch. IDK what else to check. i assumed ECM must be bad. CAT want 5000$ for a new one. I thought i'd try a rebuilt one from GoECM out of Grande Prairie Texas. Installed it today, but still exactly the saem so maybe i got two bad ECM?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

1XDDB9X54R973138

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/10/2019
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first.If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
ok. So the ECM i got from this other place is probably junk? I'll take the original ecm to cat and see they can tell me if it has failI've checked all the pins, and the power and grounds are all good.
10-4