Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

N-14 Cpl 1574 Ser number 11671120. Came into our shop with…

N-14 Cpl 1574...

N-14 Cpl 1574 Ser number 11671120. Came into our shop with most push tubes bent and two injector tubes snapped in half and in the pan. I suspected overspeed and looked everything over. Found number 5 cyl inj leaking coolant into cylinder. Changed all the heads and new injectors and push tubes. My shop tech ran the overhead with the ABC like book shows and started it up . Bent the push tubes on different cyl this time. I personally replaced push tubes and ran overhead myself and if did it again. Pulled front cover to check for spun gears and found none. Im at a loss

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

N-14 cpl 1574 serial number 11671120 and 1993 freightliner truck

9/13/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hi I’m Steve and I am a technician here on Just Answer and I hope you are having a great day, and will do my very best to get you back up and running as soon as possible and will answer any questions you may have . You will be prompted to accept a phone service, I personally do not offer this but you are welcome to take this and I or another technician will call . I am sorry that you are having issues and I know that this can be frustrating. Please understand that I am here to help. I have scattered availability during the day in the week but I am available most weekends. I am a user of this site just like you and use it on my spare time away from work and family to help people like yourself out.

I would take the injector out of #1 and roll the engine around to A, I have seen these acc drives slip once the pin breaks and it will not be in the right pos on the acc drive when setting the overhead. I Would check this out and see if there is an issue with that. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you

We found two marks on accesory drive a straight line and two faint dots the cam lines up with the strait line and the keyway is not at twelve o clock like book says

So the marks on the cam gear line up with the inspection hole but the key is not at 12?

Well ther is two marks on acesory gear a strait line and 180 out two smal dots like book shows cam only lines up with strait line i think it was instald with wrong marks and keyway isnt at twelv o clock its at six

Which that is going to throw your timing off when setting the valves which can impact the valves into the pistons, probably why your push rods are bending. I would pull the acc drive and take it apart and make sure the gear did not slip on the shaft

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech