Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am working on 2 trucks that almost have a similar problem,

one is a gmc with...
I am working on 2 trucks that almost have a similar problem, one is a gmc with a cat 3125 in it. It is hard to start and usually blows a lot of while smoke at start up and sometimes while driving. The other truck starts and runs fine but blows a lot of white smoke down the road until it warms up, it has a cat c13. Any ideas where i should start?
8/13/2019
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 3 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Can you get me the engine serial numbers please?
HEP32690 for the 3126. Will get the c13 shortly
There are very different engines.
On the 3126. I would suspect the fuel is leaking down. I see this a lot. When this happens. It’s caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head. Or faulty fuel pump.
For the C13, I would suspect a sticking Iva.Please reply back if you need more help. I am happy to assist.
How do i test the fuel pressure regulator and pump?
Unfortunately the reg can’t be tested. Just the fuel system pressure.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Does the heui pump need need to be timed?
No. It’s not timed. Just gear driven.
Thank you. Is there a way to test the pump? I got one but just want to make sure first before i change it out. I changed the regulator and no change, so this is my next step on the 3126
Unfortunately not for leaking down.
Thank you