Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a 2007 Granite with AI427 keeps throwing 3-1 code

Have a 2007 Granite...

Have a 2007 Granite with AI427 keeps throwing 3-1 code replaced exhaust temperature sensor still throwing same code

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2007 Mack Granite CV713 with a AI427 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced exhaust temperature sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really that is the most important thing now

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. I’m really sorry that you’re having this issue and I’m going to help you through it, but please understand that I (respectfully) don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us to diagnose/repair your vehicle. Also, understand that I can't see, smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience/understanding is appreciated. I do not know anything about the fees or charge so please if you have any concerns, direct them to customer service. The site will prompt you for a phone call. Ignore the pop-ups. I will let you know if one is needed. Thank you.

Please allow me a few moments to look over your question and I Will be back with you. Thank you

Failure Mode Identifier (FMI): 3 (Voltage High), 4 (Voltage Low/Open)

Parameter Identification (PID): P173

Message Identification (MID): 142

Circuit Description: The Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor is a thermocouple. The output voltage of the ET Sensor increases with an increase in exhaust temperature. The Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) monitors the voltage output of the ET Sensor and compares it to the output voltage of an internal reference thermocouple. By comparing the two voltages, the VECU calculates the temperature of the engine exhaust gasses. The VECU places exhaust temperature information on the J1587 serial data lines for use by other control units and to warn the driver of high exhaust temperatures.

Location: The Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor is located in the exhaust pipe, just downstream from the turbocharger.

Code Setting Conditions: The Electronic Malfunction Lamp (EML) will turn on and code 3-1 will set with an FMI of 4, if the Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) senses that the engine has been running at greater than 30% load for at least 60 seconds and the exhaust temperature is less than 100°F (82°C) for 2 seconds. If the engine load drops to less than 30% after code 3-1 has set, the code will remain active. If the engine load remains greater than 30% and the ET Sensor output voltage returns to normal for 2 seconds, the fault code will become inactive. The Electronic Malfunction Lamp (EML) will turn on and code 3-1 will set with an FMI of 3, if the Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) receives an ET Sensor signal greater than 4.3 volts for 2 seconds.

Normal ET Sensor Parameters: The Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor has an output voltage of 8.3 mvolts at 400°F (204°C) and 27 mvolts at 1200°F (649°C).

Blink code 3-1 can be enabled and disabled in the Optional Parameters section of the Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) OEM Data area. If an Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor is NOT installed in the vehicle, contact Mack Trucks Service Engineering Division to have blink code 3-1 diagnostics disabled in the Chassis Data file. Download the updated file and reprogram the VECU.If a new tractor is delivered with the Electronic Malfunction Light on and blink code 3-1 active, it may be necessary to connect a trailer to the vehicle to establish the 30% load needed to deactivate the fault and clear the code.

Test 1 — Checking for Code 3-1

1. Verify that code 3-1 is set.

If code 3-1 is set, go to test Test 2 — Checking for Sensor Continuity.

If code 3-1 is NOT set, wiggle the harness and connectors to try to set the code. Visually inspect the Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor connector and wires for poor connections.

Test 2 — Checking for Sensor Continuity

Figure 2

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

2. Disconnect the Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor harness connector.

3. Check for continuity between the terminals of the ET Sensor (see Figure 2).

If continuity exists between the terminals of the ET Sensor, go to test Test 4 — Checking for a Short Circuit to Ground in the Sensor.

If there is NO continuity between the terminals of the ET Sensor, replace the sensor.

Test 4 — Checking for a Short Circuit to Ground in the Sensor

Figure 3

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

2. Disconnect the Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor connector.

3. Check for continuity between either pin of the ET Sensor and a good ground (see Figure 3).

If continuity exists, replace the ET Sensor.

If there is NO continuity, go to test Test 8 — Checking for an Open ET Sensor Harness.

Test 8 — Checking for an Open ET Sensor Harness

Figure 4

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

3. Disconnect connector J2 from the Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU).

4. Connect a jumper between VECU harness connector J2 pins 7 and 8 (see Figure 4).

5. Check for continuity between pins 1 and 2 of the ET Sensor harness connector.

If continuity exists, go to test Test 16 — Checking for Voltage on the Sensor Return Line.

If there is NO continuity, go to test Test 17 — Locating the Open Circuit.

Test 16 — Checking for Voltage on the Sensor Return Line

Figure 5

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

3. Disconnect connector J2 from Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU).

4. Turn the ignition key ON.

5. Measure the voltage between VECU connector J2 pin 8 and a good ground (see Figure 5).

If there is less than 0.5 volts present, go to test Test 32 — Checking for Voltage on the Sensor Signal Line.

If there is greater than 0.5 volts present, there is a short to voltage on the sensor return line. Locate and repair the short circuit to voltage.

Test 17 — Locating the Open Circuit

Figure 6

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

4. Check for continuity between Exhaust Temperature (ET) Sensor harness connector pin 2 and Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) connector J2 pin 8 (see Figure 6).

If there is NO continuity, locate and repair the open circuit in the ET Sensor return line (VJ2-8-0.8).

If continuity exists between VECU connector J2 pin 8 and ET Sensor harness connector pin 2, the open circuit is in the signal side of the circuit. Locate and repair the open circuit in the ET Sensor signal line between VECU harness connector J2 pin 7 and ET harness connector pin 1.

Test 32 — Checking for Voltage on the Sensor Signal Line

Figure 7

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

4. Turn the ignition key ON.

5. Measure the voltage between VECU connector J2 pin 7 and a good ground (see Figure 7).

If there is less than 0.5 volts present, go to test Test 64 — Checking for a Short Circuit to Ground in the Sensor Signal Line.

If there is greater than 0.5 volts present, there is a short circuit to voltage on the sensor signal line. Locate and repair the short circuit to voltage.

Test 64 — Checking for a Short Circuit to Ground in the Sensor Signal Line

Figure 8

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

4. Check for continuity between Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) connector J2 pin 7 and a good ground (see Figure 8).

If continuity exists, locate and repair the short circuit in the ET Sensor signal line.

If there is NO continuity, go to test Test 128 — Checking for a Pin to Pin Short in the Harness.

Test 128 — Checking for a Pin to Pin Short in the Harness

Figure 9

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

2. Disconnect the ET Sensor connector.

3. Disconnect VECU connectors J1, J2, and J3.

4. Check for continuity between VECU harness connector J2 pins 7 and 8, versus all other pins on VECU connectors J1, J2, and J3 (see Figure 9).

If continuity exists, repair or replace VECU connector J2.

If there is NO continuity, go to test Test 256 — Checking for a Short Circuit at the VECU Connector.

Test 256 — Checking for a Short Circuit at the VECU Connector

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you.

1. Turn the ignition key OFF.

2. Install a known good ET Sensor.

3. Connect connectors J1, J2 and J3 to the VECU.

4. Run the engine at greater than 30% load.

If blink code 3-1 is still active, check the VECU and connectors J1, J2, and J3 for dirt, loose or shorted pins, or any other repairable damage. If no problems are evident or are not repairable, replace the VECU and retest the system.

If blink code 3-1 is no longer active, the problem was in the ET Sensor.

Thank you have a good day

You too

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech