Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

N14 Celect plus in a 99 Freightliner classic. Engine cranks,

Customer Question
N14 Celect plus in...

N14 Celect plus in a 99 Freightliner classic. Engine cranks, but will not start. originally had a fault 434 for low voltage to the ECM. Found the 3 pin power wire with the fuses old, corroded and cracked. installed new power harness with 2 new fuse holders. I now have no fault codes, but still won't start. Have been through the whole cummins troubleshooting tree have power and grounds at all required pins at the ECM. Customer just replaced all harnesses before he called me. New OEM, sensor and actuator harnesses. swapped ECM from a good running truck and still no start. Installed his ECM on other unit and starts and runs fine. Just seems like The injectors are not firing. Have plenty of fuel going up to the heads and coming out of the return line.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Worst thing is I'm usually the go to guy. I know all the tricks and correct troubleshooting techniques. This one has me at my wits end though

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

The only thing I didn't mention is all grounds and power wires have been cleaned and checked. at batteries, chassis and engine block. batteries isolated and load tested. all okay.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/15/2019
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 3 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Hi I see your issue is a crank no start. Have you checked that the Engine position sensor is OK and is free of damage or swapped with a known good one? This is often overlooked and sometimes will not throw faults. Also check the fuse near the ECM on the right side it should be grounded to the ECM mounting bolt. That too would cause a no start. Not much that will prevent this engine from firing up. Sounds like the fuel shut off selinoid is working properly if you have fuel flow.

customer replaced EPS even though his was only 6 months old. He also replaced fuel shut off solenoid, before I showed him how to test it. It has 12 volts and fuel passing through it. I have cummins quickserve and have been through the electrical side at least three times. all powers, all grounds good.. yes the ground fuse at the ecm is good. Just occurred to me I have not monitored RPMs while cranking. I'll do that then get back to you. thanks

Ok. Thank You

I have 172 rpms while cranking. 7.1 psi oil pressure. No fault codes. What should my fuel pressure be?

The MIN fuel PSI at cranking is 25 psi

I'm going to check fue

I would also hook up a charger or jump box to the batts, your pretty low on the cranking speed 150 is MIN but your above it so it shouldn't be a issue. But something to look at

I'm going to check pressure. One other thingi didn't mention. Since this shut down on him it has had the red protect engine light on and amber warning light. But no codes since the low voltage oneCharger has been on it. Cummins voltage drop shouldn't be below 6.8 v while testing. My lowest cranking voltage has been 10.8

ok min cranking speed is 150. Have you put a TEST ecm on this engine and not his ecm on another unit. It should be the otherway around. I know it sounds silly but a test ecm is meant for the engine that has a issue not another unit that is a good runner. I have seen it before and make sure the calibration is the correct one and up to date.