Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Engine fan wont kick up to high speed on an 05 mack vision…

Engine fan wont kick...

Engine fan wont kick up to high speed on an 05 mack vision think theres 5 wires going to fan hub red has 12 volts green has about 6 volts rest are 0 trying to figure out if hub clutch is bad or sensors it will kick up to high once in a while

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

05 mack c613 vision 427 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can i hot wire the cluch for awhile till a new one can be installed

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/20/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name isSteve and I will be assisting you with your question. Please allow me a moment to look over your question and I will be back with you.
On your engine fan problem. If you are not getting any faults in the engine then the issue is more than likely a fan assembly. We have had wiring issue at the connector and the wire lead going to the connector on the fan side. The only true way to tell if the fan is at fault is to command it on with the PTT software. You can change the fan on percentage and monitor the speed to make sure it is changing. Wiring a hot wire will not Keep the fan on since the fan is driven by a PWM signal. The majority of the time if there is no obvious issues it is the fan. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you
There has to be voltage to fan to make the clutch lock up what wire would that one be im thinking a bad ground also
The fan does have a supply wire and the PWM is activated over 2 wires. Inside that fan is 2 oil chambers with the signal allows the oil to flow from one chamber to the other to allow it to engage and disengage. I will get a diag procedure for you in this.

This will show you some operational checks at the plug and the wiring. Thanks.

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech