Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have SPN 1569, 5246, 5746, and 1387 and stop engine

Customer Question
I have SPN 1569...

I have SPN 1569, 5246, 5746, and 1387 and stop engine immediately

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2014 Peterbilt 386 with an isx 15

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

The earlier code said that it was low voltage on the def heater. And now I just want to try to get it to the Peterbilt dealer. I prefer to not have to tow it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s about all the info I have

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
4/6/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question. Please allow me a few moments to get these faults looked up and I will be right back with you. Thanks

Ok. Thanks

Do you know what the FMI numbers are with these faults?

1569 has FMI:31 5246 has FMI:0 5746 has FMI:4 1387 has FMI:3

Here is the information on the fault that is causing your truck to go into derate. There really is no way of stopping the unit from going into derate or get it out of derate with this fault. What you can do if this is a manual transmission is disconnect the speed sensor on the back of the trans and this will allow you to drive out of the 5 MPH derate to get it to the shop. The RPMS will be limited to 1500 but you will be able to get to highway speed and it is cheaper than a tow. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this. Thank you.

Where is the speed sensor located

Right on the tailshaft of the transmission

If you do not have one there you will need to pull all the abs fuses

Will the stop engine immediately cause my truck to shut down?

No it will not, Do you have idle shut down?

No. I had that turned off. Now it just a matter of fitting under the truck

I am sorry, I can not help with that part.

Based off the diagram, it looks like it’s a connection to the doser heating unit. Is that down on the pump on the back side of the tank?

Yes, That is the def pump. The def pump has an internal heater inside it to keep it from freezing up. It is usually in the wiring though

Oh lucky me... is it something I can look at to see if a plug pin came lose or something like that

Not really no, Because it would have more faults in the system if the def pump main connector came loose. Either way the unit has to be connected to cummins insite program and have the faults reset once it is in this derate

Ok. Thanks for your help

No problem. Have a good day