Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2007 pete 379 c15 Acert cat mxs99184 serial number. 2007…

Customer Question
2007 pete 379 c15...

2007 pete 379 c15 Acert cat mxs99184 serial number.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2007 pete 379 c15 acert cat serial number mxs99184

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying too fix it myself. Was driving and truck shut off lost power like switch was turned off then back on. Pulled over checked batteries found a negative post was off the top of battery. Dissconeccted it and truck ran fine. Got too location and was idling at 850 then all of a sudden after about 1 hr truck shut off. Turn key n just cranks no check engine light on no odometer readin or hr reading

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

The mega fuse in the battery box was popped I replaced it hooked batteries back up checked the ECM fuse in the panel by the floor and it had power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only have a test light no volt meter

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
4/4/2019
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 3 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first.If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.