Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

What tools should I need to remove a fan clutch from the…

Customer Question
What tools should I need...
What tools should I need to remove a fan clutch from the water pump on a 7.3L diesel in an international 4900?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/14/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name isSteve and I will be helping with your question. May I please have the year of your international? There has been a few design changes. Thanks
1993

Okay, thank you for that. I will get the procedure for you.

On your fan clutch You will need a 48mm fan wrench. It is left handed thread as well. You will have to get a good bite on it and try and strike it over to loosen it up. Then just thread the old one off and the new one on and tighten up. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this issue. Thank you.

There is a 1 3/4 (45mm) shoulder up close to the pulley and then the main "nut" is 2" (50mm). We've gotten them to turn together while holding the pulley still but it never broke free. I couldn't find a 1 3/4 thin wrench to hold the smaller portion so now I'm down for 24 hours and still don't have the fan off.

We have a couple of different tools that we use to get them off. One has an air hammer adapter. Have you tried striking the outer nut with a hammer and then smacking the wrench while holding the other?

I have tried that, but was attempting to hold the inner nut (closest to the pump) with a pair of channel locks that we're really too wide. I think they were up on the edge of the outer nut as well.
Ok. I threw in the towel this morning and just used the easiest tool... My debit card! Had someone come out and take it off for me! He only removed the clutch & fan. I'll be pulling and replacing the water pump myself on Monday. Any special tricks to that that I need to be aware of?

No, not really. Here is all the bolt holes. Just to be sure you get them all out. There is a rubber seal behind it. I usually take either vasoline or some disc brake caliper lube and smear some over top of that rubber seal for 2 reasons. 1 to hold it in place, and 2 incase you bump the seal while moving the pump around it will cause the pump to slide away from the seal. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Do you have the torque specs on the bolts? Do you recommend loc-tite (blue) on the bolts?
on the loctite. I will get the torque looked up for you

What size bolts do you have on your 444? for the pump. Thanks

Best I remember it was 9/16 heads or very close to that.

Torque on them is 18 ft lbs.

Thanks!