Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a detroit 60 14L. I suddenly have a loss of oil

pressure. 19.7psi at idle and...
i have a detroit 60 14L. I suddenly have a loss of oil pressure. 19.7psi at idle and 38.6psi at 1600rpm. buzzers go off yet I can let off throttle to get it home. I replaced oil pump, oil pressure relief and all orings associated. I still have same issue. I have not changed the oil pressure regulator yet...could this be my problem? I also have cut open and inspected oil filters and no bearing material. any thoughts. this truck always has 50 lbs on hwy and 25lbs at idle.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2019
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

I would take a close look at your rod and main bearings. If this engine has any type of miles on it, I recommend rolling a set of bearings in it. At the same time inspect your crankshaft journals for wear. This is the main cause for low oil pressure. You could always go for the pressure regulator but I would look at your bearings first. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

ok....are you familiar with the Detroit 60's?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

Yes

I was trying to avoid rolling a set of bearings in it. I thought this came on too sudden for a bearing situation....I have no bearing noise either....If I had spun a bearing then I would certainly hear that.I could be wrong....I have never rolled a set of bearings in....it does have some miles on it....I should go ahead and get some ordered and just do it.I would hate to roll bearing in and then it have the same problem....just trying to rule out any other possiblity.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

While you can check your clearances with plastigage... Also you can drop a main and Rod cap to take a look. As far as the possibility of any cam, rod or main bearing issues, you can cut open the filter with a filter cutting tool, cut out a decent size sample with a utility knife , then squeeze out the excess oil in a vice, then look for any signs of bearing material inside the filter paper.

I have cut ope the filters already....virtually no bearing material.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

Also, if you have Jake's on this, check for leaks around the Jake housings dumping off oil pressure.

Virtually? Meaning there was some?

it seems there was tiny amount of shiny flakes.....
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

That is a concern. It has to be coming from somewhere... It only cost and oil pan gasket and some oil to drop the pan and inspect your rod and main bearings visually to see if any of the bronze is showing or if they are scored, etc. if they look okay, check the operand for possible cam bearing issues. Another thing that can start to produce metal would be a start of a bull gear failure. If something's producing metal, you could potentially have a plugged oil galley causing a drop in oil pressure.

well it seems with the miles....over a millipn I should just roll them in. do you have a procedure on rolling them in that I can follow. I will get the parts ordered. like I said the pan is off already. If Im going to inspect, I might as well just do it.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

I will get you the torque specs. When you drop the caps down leaving the end ones till last report the crankshaft, you can use a mini screwdriver with a dull tip to start to push the bearing around. I then use a brass brake rivet or soft metal roofing nail. You want to use soft metal so it don't score any of the surfaces. You put that into the oil gallery on the Journal, then you have somebody bar the engine over by hand in the direction to roll the bearing out of the Journal. You roll the new one in the opposite way. Be sure to use plenty of engine assembly lubrication. Make sure that the locking tabs line up install the lower bearing the same way on the cap. Install the caps and torque to specs. Rod bearings you would roll the engine over to line up the ones you are working on. Those are easier to do both the uppers and lowers.

Click below for the torque specs.

Service information

Ok thanks any other tip or tricks to do let me know.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

That is pretty much it. Be sure to use plenty of engine assembly lube.

Daniel Wilson
I have completed the main bearings. I have a picture. Just wondering if they were bad enough to cause the loss of oil pressure. I dont know how to upload picture.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

Thanks for the update. There should be a paperclip icon above your chat box to upload any saved files from your computer.

Click on this link. This will tell you with photos how to check them and the causes of failure.

Failure analysis

I think I got it to upload...what do you think. Obviously they needed replaced....just not sure if this would have caused sudden oil pressure loss. (one day drop at 1600rpm from 50 to 30psi) what do you think?I will start on rod bearings today...
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

Those are definitely junk, especially in the middle ones that have the scuff marks. What are you getting for oil pressure now? With those scuff marks, it very well possibly could have been something ran through that journal and caused that, causing the drop in oil pressure. I would expect that the oil pressure definitely wouldn't be hundred percent with bearings in that condition.

ok.....I wont know my oil pressure until I finish the rod bearings today and put everything back together.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

The only other thing that I can think of that will cause a drop in oil pressure is your cam bearings or a problem with an oil passage either through the head gasket or leakage at your Jake's. You can run the engine at idle and manually engage your Jake's with the Jake's solenoids. Look for excessive oil leaks,

Hello, I have replaced oil pump, regulator, relief valve, main bearings, and rod bearings. Still low oil pressure. What else to you think it may be?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

My previous statement. The only other thing that I can think of that will cause a drop in oil pressure is your cam bearings or a problem with an oil passage either through the head gasket or leakage at your Jake's. You can run the engine at idle and manually engage your Jake's with the Jake's solenoids. Look for excessive oil leaks.

Ok....have you heard of missing cup plugs in rocker arm shaft? I saw that symptom in service manual. I guess it is time to go up top and see what we find. I am not sure what you mean by manually testing jakes. This would cause low oil pressure?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago

I'd take a look up top.... You can manually engage jakes by pushing the center of the solenoid with a screwdriver. Monitor for excessive leaks at idle.

I found this publication for oil flow as well.

Service information

are cam bearings very difficult? can they be rolled in similar to the main bearings? do you have a procedure to follow for the cam bearing replacement?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 years ago