Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have air in my fuel tanks from the return lines I'm

Hello I have air...

Hello I have air in my fuel tanks from the return lines I'm assuming. Volvo d13

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2011 Volvo 670 D13

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've changed my return line it was cracked. I changed my fuel housing filter. Water fuel separator I changed brand new. Changed my crank case pressure sensor. It just takes forever to start. I just changed my injectors and cups. But that was done by a mechanic. It seemed to fix it for awhile but it's started again. It'll start if I prime it but without it'll take 30 seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can see air in both fuel tanks bubbling up like a fish bubbler

3/2/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a Volvo master tech with over 17 years of experience. I am sorry that you are having issues with your Volvo. Your issue is linked to the injector cups. We see this all the time in the field. Volvo has changed the procedure multiple times over the years on the exact specs and procedures on installing the injector cups and injectors. They came out with a new procedure last year that seemed to fix this issue. Usually the after market shops do not have the up to date info on the procedure and/or do not follow the new one. The unit is hard to start because once the engine is shut off it is either leaking its prime into the cylinder or the compression is blowing it back to the tank. I have seen these injector cup jobs last anywhere from 1 day to 5 years. The only other possibility is the 7th injector T fitting. This is located on top of the 7th injector on the diffuser pipe at the back of the turbo. With the truck aired up, removed the fuel line with the engine off and see if there is air that is coming out on the fuel side(small 14mm side). If there is replace that T fitting and retest. The chances are that the injector cups are going to have to be redone. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this issue. Thank you.

If it's the injector cups do I need to recalibrate the injectors? And could you iterate on the new procedure? Or is there a website I can look at?

The only time that you need to recalibrate the injectors is if the injectors do not get put back in the same cylinder numbers that they came out of. If they were swapped around then the trim codes will need to be programmed in. I can upload the procedure on here. The newest tooling is also needed if you want to have a lasting repair on your injectors. Give me a min please and I will upload it. Thanks

Okay the proper procedure on the injectors can be viewed here.

Thank you

No problem.

Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech