Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Volvo D13 engine 2015 year. Diesel going to oil around 4 gal…

Customer Question
Volvo D13 engine 2015...

Volvo D13 engine 2015 year. Diesel going to oil around 4 gal in hr. Changed oll injectors and caps. Still same problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Volvo Vnl(###) ###-#### Volvo d 13

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Mechanic fix it

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/1/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Hello and thank you for using just answer. My name is***** am a Volvo master tech with over 17 years of experiance. Please allow me to assist you with your issue. The most common thing we see cause this is injectors leaking thru the tops of the bodies. What I do is remove the fuel filter in the engine and add a entire bottle of fuel or oil dye and install the filter. Run the engine for 5-10 mins then remove the valve cover and inspect the over head with a black light. That will show which injectors are leaking. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this issue. Thanks.
This test did not show any leak. Changed 2 sets of injector. Can it be fuel pamp??? Cylinder head???!
It is possible to be a bad fuel pump. It doesn’t happen that often but has in the past. You should see the dye traces when the pump is pulled. There is also a plug in the back of the head you should inspect as well
Plug is ok for shure. It is d13 engine. Fuel pump connected to power stering. Did not find diesel in power steering flued. May it be crack in the head between fuel line and oil drain, and diesel going directly to carter???? No since of leak on the top of head.
There is really no spot for the head to crack to get fuel in the oil.

One other thing that I will do on this, Is with the cover off I will have someone really pump the heck out of the primer pump on the filter housing. I have seen as high as 70 psi of fuel pressure out of that hand pump. The fuel pump if it is leaking will usually come out of the weep hole in between the fuel and PS pump. There is a seal at the rear of the P.S pump that keeps the oil in. I have put a 6 pack in and had the trucks come back a few weeks later before and it needing more injector. All it takes is one out of a set to fail. Over the last 17 years with a high volume dealer I have only seen 3 heads crack, All of them were due to overheating and all were putting combustion in the cooling system. The way the internal integrated rail runs in these heads there really is no way for the fuel to get into the oil from a crack. I have seen those plugs leak at the back of the head. There is another plug that is behind the gear that is hidden, Make sure you check that one as well. I have seen a few of them leak over the years. Thanks