Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2016 Peterbilt 348 with a PX-9 engine. Allison 3500…

Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a 2016 Peterbilt 348 with a PX-9 engine. Allison 3500 RDS-P. Vin *****************.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

I have a 2016 Peterbilt 348 with a PX-9 engine. Allison 3500 RDS-P. Vin *****************.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself. Unit came in from transmission problems. Customer states felt like slipping in all gears. We have Allison DOC software. Was unable to connect with multiple computers. We used cummins insite to commect but only pulled OEM engine codes, data etc. Used Diagnostic link to see if we could pull modules for abs, transmission, body control to no luck. We are only able to see Engine, and Engine retarder modules. I checked my resistance for my J1939 ans was right at the 60 ohms. Before I tackle the transmission issue, I need to see why I am not finding Abs, body control, transmission modules. All wiring, connectors, fuses, relays and circuit breakers are good. We even swapped a sister truck TCM to see if it would connect. No luck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was able to pull the allison code with the gear selector and pulled P2761. I know that was my original problem, but I need to see why I cannot hook up and see my ABS, Transmission and other modules before I tackle the transmission issue.

2/18/2019
Technician: Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 3 years ago
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello and thank you for contacting us at Just answer. My name is***** allow me to assist you with your issue. The resistance on your 1939 is a quick check, One other thing I would check is the resistance on the high and low to ground. Also check the 1587/1708 link for resistance to ground on each. When you perform your resistance checks make sure that the batteries are disconnected because if any modules are broadcasting any info your resistance reading will read fine but will be incorrect with no power. The voltage measurement should equal around 5v between the high to ground and the low to ground but they should not equal. The usual at KOEO is 2.2-2.35 on the green and 2.6-2.8 on the yellow. As long as you have all the needed resistance, and voltages with no short to ground or power then I would unplug one module at a time to make sure that module is not eliminating messages across the link. Please let me know if you have any other questions on this issue. Thank you and have a nice day.

Thank you. I will do these checks and get back to you.
Ok I did the procedures. J1939 pins C and D 60 Ohms. 1587/1708 pins F and G 60 Ohms. Pin D 1.8v to ground. Pin C 2.65v to ground. Pin F 2.7v to ground. Pin G 2.35v to ground.

What is the resistance between c to ground and d to ground? Your pins f and g are the 500K baud rate link(iso) if you have 60 ohms of resistance on that link.

My resistance on c to ground and d to ground was open circuit. This was with batteries disconnected. What did you mean by thr 500k bit rate?

The standard rate for the base 1939 is 250, This is how many bytes a second the data transmits. The ISO link is the ultra high speed link. This is a power train data link that is usually linked to the aft system, engine ecm, and transmission. So on your Allison doc program you may want to try changing settings around and doing the direct connect instead of the smart connect.

oh ok. I will try that in the morning. Is it a problem that i had open circuit on c to ground and d to ground instead of an ohm reading. ?
No that is good. The resistance to ground is usually about 9-100k
Good morning. I will try the allison software high speed link instead of standard j1939. Ill keep you posted. Thanks!
Alright I tried the following protocols. J1939, CAN, J1708, J1850, ATEC160BAUD, IESCAN. None of them worked. I rechecked my voltage from A and B i had 12v. I guess I am down to unplugging modules and seeing if i can connect.
It seems we lost the whole ISO 1587/1708 data link. How can that be if my resistance and voltages were correct?
The iso is a high speed 1939 style link. The 1587 is the older speed link. If the link is down you will still have voltages and resistance reading okay at times because it takes an graph ossicilscope to read the wavelengths to see what module is reading what.
Mike Mcmillan
Mike Mcmillan, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
Oh gotcha. I got it backwards. The customer states they had the ecm reprogrammed a year or so ago. It is a garbage truck and had issues with the engine signals and the pto for the trash box. We are going to contact the company who reprogrammed the ecu. Thank you for your help!