Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2008 Sterling Oil truck with a Cat it stalls at…

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Sterling Oil truck with a Cat it stalls at idle I have to set the cruise control and bring rpms up to 1000 to keep it running while pumping other than that it runs fine. it bringe up check engine on dash and engine protect light also when it does it than ecu 128 on dash than 12-3 i think comes up also

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

A Sterling Acterra vin number 2fzacgdc57ay41984

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

That all i got for now I have changed filters and has plenty of anti freeze in the resivoir well over the sensor

10/11/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** you get this resolved since your post? If not let me know and I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. So for Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

No I did not get my issue resolved and would like some sort of answer
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Why is the model cat engine that you have and serial number prefix on the engine ID tag? Also ECU 128 means engine ECM which is only indicating that a fault has been detected in the engine ECM but that is not the fault code. 12 – three is not a cat fault code.... Please take another look at those codes and post them as they are displayed. Check your fuel supply and return for air bubbles in line with a site glass or clear hose installed. You should have little to no air bubbles. If by now you are sucking in air so check for leaks or restrictions between the tank and pump. Also a problem with the fuel transfer /supply pump can create issues as well with fuel supply. Depending on your engine model and serial number will depend on the direction of troubleshooting. Please supply enough information to indicate what fuel system you actually have based on engine model as cat makes and has made a lot of different engine models.

Daniel Wilson
Serial # is WAX62977. And code on dash is 2_1.3. And it is not a fuel issue
It a C-7 Cat