Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Problem with clutch switch 98 w900 kenworth 3406e. 98 w900…

Problem with clutch switch...

Problem with clutch switch 98 w900 kenworth 3406e

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

98 w900 kenworth 3406e

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i just need to know if there is supposed to be power to the clutch switch or does it control ground

7/13/2018
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 4 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
The clutch switch just applies a ground to the ecm when it’s closed. The ecm should be sending out 5 volts to the clutch switch. It’s the kind of voltage that does not carry a load.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
how does this relate too the mpx module im having problems with my jakes not working i have the smart wheel set up everything else on the wheel works
The clutch switch should not affect the engine rpm. But if the clutch is not working correctly. It can stop the jakes from working as the ecm thinks you are pushing in the clutch.
ok is the ecm sending the signal through the clutch switch to the mpx module
No. The clutch switch is only to let the ecm know if the driver is pushing in on the clutch or not.
where does the other side of the clutch switch connect or does it loop back to the ecm
One wire from the switch goes to a specific pin on the ecm. The other wire can go to any ground.
do you know what pin
If you can tell me the engine serial number I can tell you which pin.
755527 is the last 6 of the vin 3406e where do i find the engine serial number
It should be on a sticker on the engine. Is it a 40 pin ecm? Or a 70 pin ecm?
it has 2 big plugs on it i believe one is a 40 pin connector
If it’s a 40 pin with one plug on top of the other. It’s pin 24.
If they are 70 pin that has the plugs side by side it’s pin 22
thank you it is a joy working with someone who knows what they are doing
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert