Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2003 E450 bus conversion by. is the wiring for a trailer…

Customer Question
2003 E450 bus conversion by...
2003 E450 bus conversion by Thomas. is the wiring for a trailer hitch plug and play?
Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/31/2018
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 17 days ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Looking at the info on the E450 that has not been converted ( as converted models can vary depending on who did the conversion) it is plug and play. If you have the wiring then you may need to obtain the trailer connector to install onto the wiring. But if the wiring and connector are all there then it should be good to go. I would plug in a trailer and check the lights to make sure they all work. Now if you have a trailer with a trailer brake you would need to have a trailer brake installed on your converted vehicle to allow trailer brakes to operate.

I can tell you how to test the light signals at the plug if you want just let me know. This will require a test light or multimeter to test these signals.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
trying to add the wiring now, signal light is seperate fixture on back of bus. does that make a difference? can i take the connectors apart and test with a meter for the light connections?

Are you saying you have no trailer wiring installed or trailer connector installed on the vehicle at all?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
not yet that is what i am working on. i guess my questin is, do the connections have a plug play connector available to buy?

O.k., did it come with any wiring taped off or hanging down ready for a trailer connector or is there no trailer wiring at all installed?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
at the back of the bus are two wiring connectors with the lights for the back, and im guessing because of the blue wire in one of them there is also a brake control wire there, guessing.

Is there any way you can take some pictures of these wires and upload them here for me to see.There should be a paper clip icon or similar to upload them.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
i can i will try. it may take a while.

No problem.If you can get some pictures and upload them here this will help just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic