Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2012 Cummins is 15 in peterbuilt 386. I’ve had the…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Cummins is 15 in peterbuilt 386. I’ve had the def system disconnected some time back. Engine started running hot as the summer months came. I change the thermostat and replaced with new coolant. Still getting hot. I changed bot the coolant sensor and the oil temp sensor. Still the same. What’s next for me to do...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2012 Cummins isx 15

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

2012 Pete 386 last of vin 151032. All I have

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/30/2018
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 2 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

some possibilities

1. clogged radiator. use a temperature gun and measure the temp of the top of the radiator. then test the lower. the top should a little above thermostat temp and the lower should be around 140-150. if it is not, then make sure the fins are clear of all debris to allow proper air flow through the radiator to cool it off.

2. egr cooler. if it is plugged, it will heat up the coolant as well.

3. fan clutch. is it engaging?? it should come on above thermostat temp and off at about 185. it also should come on with the Ac engaged.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy