Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

07 international 4300 dt466e Truck shut off unexpectedly…

Customer Question
07 international 4300 dt466eTruck shut...
07 international 4300 dt466eTruck shut off unexpectedly going down the highway. I made it over to the shoulder put it in park and tried to restart. The truck cycles but does not crank. After about 3 hours of tinkering (checking fuses relays and disconnected batteries) it started up and ran fine for about 3 weeks.Same thing happened, except this time I can't get it to restart. I can get the truck to crank by using a wire to jump the starter relay and can get it to fire over with starting fluid. It has no throttle response when I pump the fuel pedal as it's running on ether.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/30/2018
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 2 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there . My name is***** we start by checking the faults ? Is the engine lamp on ? Or check electrical lamp? Here is the procedure to check faults :https://www.dropbox.com/s/f526i7b69ifw887/How%20to%20check%20codes%20three%20digit.txt?dl=0
As of right now there are now check engine lights or check electrical lights lighted up on the dash I can check the flash codes shortly I will be back at the truck around 8 am eastern
No check engine*
Ok then ... Thanks ... I will be at work then but will check in on breaks .
Thank you!
If no codes are found , I would check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the rail ... Should be around 60 psi when running and 20 psi when cranking
Also , hand primer should be hard to push indicating there is fuel pressure
I do have a pressure testing kit. I'll take that with me. Would that cause no crank from the igition though? Not sure I specified but there is no crank when you turn the key,. It will cycle but that's all
Oh ok ... Sorry about that ... Just waking up... If this is an automatic transmission , it needs to see neutral signal to allow a crank . Check and make sure the tranny is displaying which gear you are in on the display in cluster . If not displaying, check for power to TCU starting at the battery box . Follow the smaller power feed harness and check all connections along that way .
If it is a manual tranny , you may have a thermal overcrank switch acting up on the starter. Check for a two wire connector mounted on the end of the starter . If you have it , disconnect it and put a jumper across the two wires and see if it cranks
These wires are park of the harness in the battery box that has the 3 fuses correct? 3 wires are hot and 2 are grounds correct? The fuses are good I removed the looks and did a visual inspection no niks or frays I will check with a tester this am though to double check
It is an automatic Alison
This all sounds like low power to ECM though ... I would load test using a headlamp as a load . Load test at pin 30 of the ECM and the IDM relay in the power distribution box under the hood on left front fender
Load test? You mean check voltage? I'm pretty mechanical but get hung up with electrical. I did swap out the relay to the idm on the main power bow on that left fender. We're is the ecm and will pin 30 be labeled or do I just count the pins?
ECM is smaller relays in front of IDM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoqu5ig35xuez95/dt466%202004%20epa%20wiring.pdf?dl=0
Here is the engine wiring diagram to help you along.
Thank you
Please do not forget to rate my service to you as this is the only way that I am rewarded on here. Thanks
Let me know if you need anything else... I will respond as much as I can throughout the day on brakes
Thanks andy I'll be sure to rate you well! You have been a big help I will test what I can today and get back with you. Thanks again
I was just going to hook up my pressure gauge for the fuel line to the Schrader valve and I noticed that the sensor directly below the Schrader valve was damaged and actually fell off when I went to hook up the Schrader valve I'm going to look through my engine manual now to try to find out what sensor that is not sure if you know off the top of your head what it is or what kind of problems the broken sensor could cause
It's the round sensor on the intake manifold. (Looking at the motor it's the left sensor ,. There are 2 sensor next to each other)
It appears to be the MAP sensor
I just ordered one and I'm headed to pick one up
3 wire is intake manifold pressure sensor... 2 wire is intake manifold temperature sensor
It is the 3 wire
Ok replaceed the MAP sensor and it did not change anything. I also checked the dash,. The P (park) does have a hash mark underneath of it I assume that is the indicator for the transmission showing it is in park not sure what other way to go now
What year is this ? And does it have EGR ?
It is an 07 and yes it does have an egr I just replaced it 2 years ago
What is fuel pressure at when cranking ?
Charging batteries now will know in an hour or so I'll message you when I get it
Should be 20 psi cranking ... And at least 130 rpm on tachometer
Ok
Any luck ?
I'm showing 0 psi while cranking
I could not check the tachometer because I did not have anyone with me to watch it while I jump the starter
Check your fuel strainer under the fuel filter housing for plugging up . Remove the white drain knob then a 7/8" socket to remove the cap and reveal the strainer
I we'll check but I did a fuel filter and water drain maintenance about a thousand miles ago maybe a little more filter was pretty clean and I didn't see any build up at the bottom of the bowl
Did you run out of fuel perhaps ? Try hand priming till hard then try to start ... May need to push a bit of shop air in vent of fuel tank to help fuel along
Primer is hard as a rock and it has 3/4 tank
But 0 psi at the rail ?
At Schrader valve
Fuel was definitely squirting out of the rail as I was trying to put the hose connection on maybe it was a false reading I don't know I had a really hard time getting my hand and place there to tighten it I'm going to come back tomorrow with some tools and remove some stuff around it so I can get a better connection
If primer is rock hard , then do the injectors cycle at key on ?
How do you tell if they cycle?
Turn key off ... Wait 30 sec... Turn key on and listen under valve cover for a bunch of clicking really fast for about 10 sec
Did you hear them?
I did not sorry my phone died I will check in the am
Ok thanks. Please do not forget to rate my service to you . That's how I am rewarded on here . Have a good night !
Looking for an update! How's it going ?
Tachometer is not moving when I try to engage the starter the fuel pressure is still reading zero but I cannot get it to screw on all the way it appears the threads are damaged I I do not hear the injectors chattering though I'm not sure how loud they should be but I do not hear them I do hear the waste gate opening and closing for the turbo though
Today either way skate did something a little weird it repeatedly open and close open and close for about 7 or 8 Cycles normally only opens and closes once
f**king voice text. Today the waste gate on the turbo*
Check all fuses in distribution box for any blown
Truck is being towed back to my yard now so I can continue work I'll check once it is back
Ok

I am at home now

Do you want to carry on over the phone ?

Hey there . Just looking for an update on this! Do you still need help? Please do not forget to rate my service! I am not an employee on this site. I am only rewarded through good ratings ! Thank you