Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2011 IH 4300 Maxxforce DT. Oil pressure gauge is giving a…

Customer Question
2011 IH 4300 Maxxforce...

2011 IH 4300 Maxxforce DT. Oil pressure gauge is giving a faulty ready of 9 psi. and tripping check engine / shut down light. Manual gauge shows 60 psi at start up and 38 psi warm, obviously not an engine problem as the HPOP would not function without adequate oil pressure. Changed the sending unit but did not solve the issue. Must be electrical but not sure where to look.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Ok...so this is a robo response I guess

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/28/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** be glad to help. Professionals are not employees of the site however we can follow up as needed on here. Please post all the fault code numbers in their entirety that you have logged in the ECM memory and history.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
SPN 102 - FMI 0 ; SPN 8339 - FMI 4 ; HDS J1939 - Ch1 (AC Recirc) These are pulled via scanner.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago
SPN 102 - FMI 0 is a boost pressure or intake manifold pressure fault. Check the intake piping and boost pressure piping for leaks as well as the CAC. If there are no leaks or restrictions then check the sensor and wiring harness 4 problems potentially giving false readings to the ECM.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Those are on going regen issues that have been present and adressed by the dealer who says they have nothing to do with the gauge problem.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago
SPN 8339 - FMI 4 VREF engine voltage below minimum. Check your battery voltage and charging system for problems.. be sure that the battery tests good and your cables and connections check out good as well as your alternator. Reply back with the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. We can follow up as needed on here. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how I say credit spend time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago
If the oil pressure sensor is new and you are still getting in proper readings then take a thorough look at the wiring harness from the ECM connector pins to the sensor connector for any damage in the connectors or wiring.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 26 days ago
Also do a continuity check and resistance check to see if this possibly high resistance in The Wire that would indicate a problem in the wiring. If the wiring tests good then it is possible that you might have ECM problem here.. first they recommend if the wiring and sensors both check good is to try reflashing and reprogramming first before going after a replacement ECM. Sometimes these issues can be software-related.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I've heard about "resetting" the ecm. Is that what they're talking about, completely reprogramming?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 25 days ago
that is what that means.