Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Looking to estimate hours to replace head gaskets for mbe…

Customer Question
Looking to estimate hours...

Looking to estimate hours to replace head gaskets for mbe 460 in 2005 freight liner. there is oil leaking and coolant leaking from the RH side from the joint between the head and block. I got cost of gaskets from my dealer. I am not sure if I want to get involved with the job because of mileage on truck, over 900,000. How would be the best way to do this besides alot of caution & the risk of high $.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The VIN tag does not give the model nor is there any tags on the truck giving that information. I only have the vin 1fuba6cv35lv41204

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a good way to exchange the engine for a Series 60 detroit for $5000.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/28/2018
Technician: go-west.., Technician replied 2 months ago
go-west..
go-west.., Technician

good evening

yes when you start taking the engine apart you will probably have to replace the heads to,they have a history of fretting on the underside of the head,thus they don't seal properly,also you mentioned the mileage,looks like the exhaust manifold bolts will probably snap to,

To do all 6 heads,your looking at 40 hours because of age,

great engine ,

head gaskets, egr valve were the weak link though

What are the chances that liner orings will leak after taking the pressure off by removing heads, i am concerned about the snowball effect turning into an avalanche so to speek

very possible

job could turn into a inframe before you know it

consider inframing engine,you could get another million k;s

Thank you. I need to inform the owner to see if there is enough in the budget for that. This helps me confirm what i thought, i have not had to get into a mercedes engine before and wanted to be informed to help my customer.

ok

let me know if you have any further questions