Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 5.9 l cummins diesel with mechanical fuel pump the…

Customer Question
I have a 5.9...

I have a 5.9 l cummins diesel with mechanical fuel pump the previous owner completely ran the truck out of fuel thought he killed the truck so i bought cheap cause did not run bought new batteries pulled fuel tank cleaned tank and lines we were thinking of converting to electronic fuel pump removing the primer bulb what all is involved with making the conversion Note the fuel system right now i currently DEPRIMED and there is air in the system all the way to injectors also there is a vac line in tank cant figure out where it goes?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Is he good with Mopar?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mostly fuel system complete on the conversion and can i download the answers for reference after our chat?

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
5/27/2018
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 28 days ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi ,I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

All you need to do is run a line from ele pump to fuel tank

then outlet line to the primary fuel filter get a pump that is 9.5- 12 lbs no bigger

as far as primer pump, leave as is

to bleed the fuel lines crack the injector lines lose and crank over 10-15

sec intervals, when bubbles are gone tighten the lines and hold the throttle to the floor and start

keep it there until runs smooth

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok should I go with the in tank conversion that mounts inside the housing for the fuel sending unit or I frame?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
the only reason i prefer typing it is easy for me to go back to notes and less to forget
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 27 days ago

Hi

Sorry for the delay, as you know a busy day

Go with on frame, not tank

Yes, We can work from here

Call request is JA robot, not me

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you