Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Cat 3116 1997 air throttle - in a Built Bus Rear Engine -

Customer Question
Cat 3116 1997 air...

Cat 3116 1997 air throttle - in a Thompson Built Bus Rear Engine - acts like a low battery when trying to start, it turns over once and then the starter clicks like a dead battery. I thought it was bad batteries - 4 yrs old so I replace them, charged them (3 batteries in parallel) to 100% / 15 volts. still nothing. I noticed the fuel line going into the govenor is smoking hot (the rubber section of the line) but the metal connectors and top of the govenor is still room temp. I am frustrated. Any ideas? Thanks Brad

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

ER3116TA250 Serial # 9YN03600

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

It ran great before sitting for three weeks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/27/2018
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

What you are describing is a faulty connection

remove clean and the pos and Neg terminals including on the frame

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

I will clean the connnectors to the chassis and let you know - what about the hot fuel line going into the govenor - why is this getting super hot?
what about the fuel line going into the govenor getting smoking hot? what causes this?
This gets hot as soon as I try to start the motor - and it heats up fast with in a matter of 20 seconds

Hi Brad

As far as the line gets hot there is a

restriction there, 1st start with replacing the fuel filters

then replace that line it is clasping inside the hose

I hope this helps you

the line that gets smoking hot is the line between the fuel filter and the governor housing, no restrictions and it is a straight line. This line is only 16 inches long. There is no electrical to this part or the Governor. The Governor is not hot or warm to the touch. It is only the diesel fuel in the line that gets smoking hot. The fuel shut off solenoid is functioning properly so there is no apparent obstruction. Im still lost. I have 40 years as a gas engine mechanic, a BS in Mechanical Engineering, BS in Aerospace Engineering, and a BS in Electrical Engineering as well as professionally restored 13 antique, classic and custom vehicles. Diesel is new to me and this Cat 3116 being all mechanical and the problems that I am having stumps me. I don't know why the fuel in the input line is getting smoking hot?

Hi

Thank you for the response

Thank you for your credentials

My list is too long to post here .............

Look outside the Box, replace the line