Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am swapping a c7 2005 with a 3126 1999-2000. I have all…

second opinion] Hi I am swapping...
second opinion] Hi
I am swapping a c7 2005 with a 3126 1999-2000.
I have all the harness, sensors and ECM on both engines.
Both trucks runs. The C7 is on its way out.
Will the cab, ignition switch and dash work well with both engines?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/28/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Give me some time to review your info and follow up with my responses. We can follow up as needed on here. First I need the serial number prefix of both engines when you have a chance . This way we can compare the OEM connector pinout. some retrofits people have custom harnesses built between the firewall and OEM connector to keep it more factory and less disturbing in the cab. Let me know the SN's

Hi Dan
Thanks for responding.
Please let me know if there are the information you need on both.
Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Click on this link for the OEM connector comparison

Service info

What truck is it going in?

Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

It is going in a 2005 GMC C6500
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

I posted an offer. that with what I already posted covers bumper to bumper.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
If you need the rest on the GM side please be sure to let me know once you've accepted the premium service offer on here in a post so I know to upload the information and I can send it to whatever email you like of your choice. I'm logging out for the night shortly but we can follow up as needed on here. If you have all the information you need then please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on here as I mentioned prior.
Sounds good Dan
Will that also cover chevy C6500?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Yes bumper to bumper

Chevy and GMC
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

yes

Thanks
I will get back to you
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Okay sounds good. Im logging out for the night but follow up as needed.

Good night
Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Good night

Hi there
Are you saying that the schematic for 2005 chevy C6500 and 2005 gmc C6500 are the same?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
it covers them. I'm not at my office as I'm out and about so I wouldn't be able to post the link probably until tomorrow morning if you're interested because I'm not at my office computer now but if you accept just leave a message on here that you did so that way I know when I log into upload the link for you.
Daniel Wilson
Please send me the offer again.
Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

I posted in the private contact window above.

I don’t know how to access it.
Please email it to me at***@******.***
Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Sent

Thanks for asking.
Unfortunately I still have no solution.
Maybe I need to go different route.
Would you please tell me if I take the 3126 long block and I mount on it the heui, injectors, sensors, harness and ECM from the C7 would that then work on 2005 GMC and communicates with the dash board?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

So far all looks good for that option. What is the arrangement number of the KAL? it is not shown in the picture. Why would you not just do an inframe or replace with a comparable serial number?

Overhaul Considerations... 3126E Commercial and Truck Engines and 3126B Engine Caterpillar

Usage:

3126B 1AJ 3126 1BW 3116 2BK 3116 2FR 3116 5JZ 3054 6NR 3126 6PZ 3126B 7AS 3116 7HS 3126 7JZ 3116 7SF 3126 8SZ 3126B 8YL 3116 9CJ 3116 9GK 3116 9LN 3126E 9SZ 3116 9YN 3126B BKD 3126E CKM 3126E CRP 3116 CSM 3126E DPF C7 FML C7 FMM 3126E G3E 3126E HEP C7 JRT C7 KAL C7 LBM 3126E LEF C7 NPH C7 RMF C7 SAP C7 TSK C7 WAX

Refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Maintenance Interval Schedule" topic (Maintenance Section) for the proper intervals in order to perform an overhaul of the engine.

Several factors are important when an overhaul of the engine is considered. The following factors are included:

• The performance of preventive maintenance

• The ratio of oil consumption to fuel consumption

• Fuel consumption

• The quality of the fuel that has been consumed

• The mileage of the vehicle

• The operating conditions of the vehicle

• The results of the S·O·S oil analysis

• The loss of engine power

An overhaul is a regular maintenance interval when the engine is inspected and worn components are replaced with rebuilt parts or new parts.

A top end overhaul is generally indicated by increased fuel consumption and reduced power. This interval consists of completely reconditioning the cylinder head. Normally, it is not necessary to repair the cylindercomponents at this time.

A major overhaul is an interval when the items that have major wear in the engine should be replaced. Items that can have major wear include the following items: piston rings, main bearings, rods and valves.

Overhaul Options

Caterpillar Dealer - Consult your Caterpillar dealer in order to schedule a before failure overhaul.

My problem is the block.
Those blocks are not sleeved.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
There are repair sleeves available for these blocks however the engine would have to be out and stripped for the Machine Shop to bore and then install the sleeves.
I know.
I am using the 7.2 because it is a great running engine no blow by at all with great oil pressure.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
I understand. I would use it as a long block then. To help you with the swap if you go onto avspare you can access the parts breakdowns for both Arrangement numbers and compare the internals. They will request your email to get authorization to review but it's fairly simple to get logged in.