Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

CATMAN 2KS57252 having troubles cranking up.. i have fuel…

Customer Question
CATMAN 2KS57252 having troubles cranking up....
CATMAN
2KS57252 having troubles cranking up.. i have fuel gauge hooked up and its showing me 70psi while cranking but it wont start unless i spray ether.. then it runs fine.. cut the key off and it will not crank back up even if you try as soon as key get cut off.. only with ether... no codes. fuel filters changed.. while on it shows a steady 75psi of fuel pressure
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
4/10/2018
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 4 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Have you checked if the injectors are getting AC power to them while cranking?
how
You can set your multimeter to Ac and put it on an injector solenoid or you can disconnect the connector at the valve cover and put the leads on two injector pins.
While cranking you should have between 20-40 ac. If you do. The problem is severely worn injector.
If you do not you have either no rpm/tdc signal to ecm, low dc voltage to the ecm while cranking,Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
0.00 AC on voltmeter.. but i did see it spiked a couple times but couldnt tell how my AC power it read. but when it spiked i could hear like a solenoid hit.. test on 5 & 6 solenoid on injectors
Thanks for the information.
I have only seen two things cause no ac while cranking. No rpm/ tdc signal or the voltage to the ecm drops below 7.5 while cranking.
When starting fluid is used. The voltage to ecm comes back from the release of the starter. Or the sensor is able to pick up an rpm/tdc signal.
how could i check either issue.. could i see on CAT ET if i have rpm/tdc signal ?
To verify a voltage drop to the ecm you can either install a power supply to the ecm from another source and if it starts you’ll it’s low voltage. For rpm you should be able to see on ET but all the ecm needs to start is rpm and good dc Power. If you engine needs either to start every time. I always find one of these the problem.
ok what if i dont have another source of power supply for ecm.. what would be different source?...rpms (engine Speed) shows 221 MAX on ETwhile cranking
I use the Cat bypass harness. Part number(###) ###-#### It works great.
can i run wire from accy on ignition switch to pin 70 on ecm?
I would run it from another battery source. Not one from the truck.
i got truck to run, showing 9.3 v at pin 70. i ran wire from 70 to batt and BAM right away with the turn of the key... now need to see how to repair it
That’s good news. Now we know the problem.
You could just fuse the wire you ran from the ignition. That will be fine.
from battery to IGN on switch right?
that’s correct.
fuse wire from battery to IGN on switch always keeps everything on. truck wont even cut off. have to pull fuse
You must not be on the keyswitch part of the switch.
You must have the wire hooked to a constant hot.
It needs to be on the post that’s hot o my when key is in on position.
ok let me check but right now its from the battery to a fuse to the switch where it shows IGN.. let me double check though
Ok
there is only BATT, IGN, ACC, ST on back of switchIGN is hot when key is turned, thats why having a staright wire from batter was not working.. it was keeping it hotwhere do i hook up my wire from batteries to?
Ignition should only be hot with key on. Not all of them.You just need to connect 70 to ignition post. Power to 70 wakes up the ecm. No power cuts off the Engine.
IGN on back of switch is hot with key on, but you told me to run a wire from batteries to IGN on switch
I said to run Power from a separate battery source to test the theory of low dc while cranking. If you have Constant battery power to 70 the engine will never shut off. Sorry if I was misunderstood
after that you told me to fuse the wire... and i asked you "so from battery to IGN on switch right?" and you said " yes that is correct"but i got it now. just run wire from IGN on switch to Pin 70
That’s correct. IGN to 70. All should be good.
do i splice in to wire or cut it at the connector and butt my wire to it on 70
I would not splice in the wire. I would cut it and butt connect it.
got it
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.