Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2013 freightliner with single drive and ecas.... getting…

Customer Question
2013 freightliner with single...

2013 freightliner with single drive and ecas.... getting tons of wheel spin, no traction at all. When truck is off front airbags will deflate and there is no air leak. Air rite up when key is turned to on position immediately. Also wheels are locking up when coming to a stop with empty trailer..... ecm bad? Obviously more air in rear bags than front...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cascadia, serial 1fugglbg6dsbz9566

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
4/2/2018
Technician: Don, Journeyman replied 3 months ago
Don
Don, Journeyman

Hi there my name is don

i will try to help you on this

do all the airbags deflate when the key gets turned off?

what wheels are locking up the tractor or trailer is the abs light on during brake application ?

there rear airbags will get more air as they are controlled by 1 weight and height control valve

don

Please note during the question period there will not be any charge for me until we come to a answer that solves your problem

No just the front

hi there

thanks for that information did the front always deflate since you have had the truck ?

do you have a pressure gauge in the dash for the airbags ?

No and no

hi there ok so we can deal with the issues one at a time

likely there is an auto dump in the system is there any codes coming up

plus you will have to look at the valve controlling the front air bags to see if there are any broken wires

i know that we have some models here that when the key shuts off it does dump the front air bags

2.

the wheel spine you hare having a issue with

is this only when bob tailing ? are your rear air bags over inflated at that time ?

between the bottom of the Bell where it mounts to the bottom of the air bag should be a distance of 4 inches

is that where they are at ?

do both wheels spin or just one ?

Wheel spin is with a empty trailer even at road speed... step in the gas ame you get slip. Totally impossible to get traction on wet roads. I won't be on level ground for about 30 minutes to check bag height.

Hi there thanks for that great information

sounds like the airbags could be too high

do you have traction control

how bit of a trailer do you have

plus the bags should be at that height most of the time unless you are on an incline

it's a Ecas system. Do you know this system don?

aHi there it is new to me i have the manual let me look at it

i have done lots of air ride systems and i am experienced itn that part of the system

Did you want me to opt out ?

Don

hi there still at this point you are not being billed

just need to know what part of the system is malfunctioning. The ecu?

Hi there

do you have the toggle switches in the dash for loaded or unloaded position

i am reading that part now it says that the ecu does send and receive the signals from the suspension please ne patient i am reading and thanks for teaching me something new

Don

do you also have the remote for it ?

hi there again

there is also a test adapter do you have this

if not there is a procedure that we have to go through to confirm what part of the ecs has failed

“ECAS FAIL” Indicator Lamp The dash-mounted “ECAS FAIL” indicator lamp indicates a system fault. When the ignition key is switched on, the lamp will come on for two seconds and then go out. This indicates there are no faults present. If the lamp does not come on at start-up, the bulb or wiring is defective. The following failures will cause the “ECAS FAIL” indicator lamp to remain on: r ECAS FAIL lamp wire grounded r No power at ECU pin 1 r Electrical fault in height sensor r Electrical fault in solenoid valve r J1587 datalink fault r Internal ECU fault r Incorrect height control calibration r Chassis height cannot be adjusted within five minutes after ignition or within 30 seconds during normal service Depending upon the severity of the failure, the ECAS system may be partially or completely switched OFF.

I do have a remote

hi there thanks for that maybe all you have to do is reprogram it

let me check

Don

P.S. do you have the manual for this system ?

I do. At home

ok thanks for that

it seams that there are two areas that control both the airbags and the speed or breaking

they are electronically controlled by the ecu

having said that

did this happen all of a sudden when it did was it raining or wet roads

i would like to try the simple stuff first as i imagine that ecu is not cheap

but with the remote controller you have there you can go to a manual mode or reprogram it

but i think it would be better if you had your manual as well and we can walk through this together if that is ok with you

Don

I've done the up and down and set the parameters a couple times. Checked the air bag height and they are all different. Going to pick up a new ecu. Thank you for your help Don...

do you have this by chance

Meritor WABCO Test Adaptor for ECAS The test adaptor allows troubleshooting the ECAS system by providing breakout access to the circuits contained in the 35-pin connector attached to the ECU. This allows easy Volt-ohmmeter measurement of voltage and resistance of ECAS

how about the dash light they are talking about

does it just come on for a couple of seconds

thanks sir

if you still need help then let me know

have a great day

Don

If you have any follow up questions , please do not hesitate to ask ,

If finished, please take a moment to rate my service,

It has been my pleasure to assist you