Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a WA380-5L. The serial # is A52336. I recently

Customer Question
I have a WA380-5L. ...

I have a WA380-5L.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The serial # is A52336. I recently purchased the machine and have no service history.The machine seems to lack power and accelerates slowly. The problem is much more noticable cold than when fully warmed up. Air & fuel filters have been changed with no improvement. The motor is making about 1 pound of boost at idle in neutral & 15 lbs of boost at WOT in neutral. It appears to be under some kind of engine load at all times based on performance & boost in neutral. What do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I cant think of anything right now.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/31/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 21 days ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If fuel pressure is good and you have no leaks or restrictions in the fuel system or in the air intake system and both tests good you also want to inspect the turbocharger 4 any signs of play in the compressor wheel and be sure it does not contact the housing or have drag in the bearings. If the turbo and fuel system all check okay then you want to check the hydraulic filters and the transmission filters and screen for any signs of metal or debris that would indicate an internal mechanical failure. If the transmission has an issue it will likely have signs of failure in the suction screen possible discoloration in the oil and metal or debris in the filter. If the hydraulic sorry problem you should expect the same. It will look like glitter in the oil and filter. Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed on here. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I haven't changed those filters yet but wanted to let you know that Hydraulic and transmission functions seem fine. Fluids look and smell good. Transmission was low.I have spent extensive time trying to pinpoint this with no luck.
I have checked pump timing and exhaust back pressure and they are both good.
The boost guage acts like a tach not a boost guage. More throttle, more boost and when there shouldn't be any significant load since we are in neutral.
Is there a gear case between the engine and transmission that could be overfull on oil causing drag on the engine.
The engine runs smooth and clean and smokes lightly on acceleration as you would expect. It just labors when it shouldn't be.
I have stalled the engine on more than one occasion operating the hydraulic coupler.
Also an indication that there is engine load at all times. Again I feel the boost pressure is telling the story.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 21 days ago
Hi, let me know the results of my suggestions. Also before draining anything do both a hydraulic stall and a converter stall as well as a full stall and let me know the RPMs you get. That is when you disable the neutralizer so you can push through the brake. To take a hydraulic stall you deadhead a hydraulic function such as bucket curl at full RPM. For the transmission torque converter stall you select the highest speed and forward while holding the brake at full RPM and record that RPM. Then you will take a Full stall at high RPM with fourth and forward and the bucket deadheaded and curled. You should expect to not drop much more than 200 RPM between rated and full stall RPM.. let me know the results of my checks.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 21 days ago
Also let me know if you getting any particular color smoke.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I will perform the stall tests as you recommend but am wondering what torque converter and hydraulic pump failures would load the engine in neutral and no hydraulic functions being perfomed?
I also asked if there was a gear case between the engine and transmission.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Some smoke on snap acceleration.
Clears quickly as boost pressure builds so quickly.
I think the engine is fine.
I think there is a parasitic load of some kind.
I have an aas degree in automotive technology and owned an ran a repair shop for 17 years.
I've owned equipment diesel pickups and class 8 trucks for 22 years and am well aware of how turbo diesels should act sound smoke and make boost.
I am not however familiar with the problem I'm currently having with this loader.
I'm hoping you or someone you know might shed some light on this load that is dragging on this 8.3.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 19 days ago
Hi , sorry for the delay as I was away with family for the weekend. Professionals are not employees of the site so I login here as time allows. Basic and general theory is similar between Auto and equipment but Hydraulics are a completely different animal and the Transmissions are configured differently but everything else works on generally the same principles and theories. A little bit of my background is I worked for a Komatsu dealership a Volvo dealership a John Deere Hitachi dealership a JCB dealership a heavy Highway and aggregate company responsible for the rock quarry equipment and construction equipment division maintenance. What were the results of the stall tests that I have instructed? The first thing at any of the dealerships that we would check on a new machine or used machine that came in or when we were evaluating a machine would be to take stall tests which tells you whether or not you have a problem in the hydraulic system or in the transmission or converter. I answered whether or not your transmission had a gearbox in between as if you read back you will see that I referenced a torque converter. And a torque converter is a fluid coupling and not a gearbox. You have a torque converter which as stated as a fluid coupling that connects your engine power to your transmission. I would know very quickly if there was a major problem in either your hydraulic system or your converter or transmission just by knowing how much the engine RPM drop is when you put either one into a stall. You are talking to an inexperienced dealership mechanic who also worked for many contractors and has his own heavy equipment and Truck Repair business with a field service truck. So what are the results of the stall test as I know you want to tell me about your Automotive background but that has nothing to do with this wheel loader. Stall test results and possible pressure test results as well as inspection of what is inside the filters or suction screen of both the hydraulic and transmission is what is going to tell the story here. We can go over hypotheticals all day long or we can run through the steps to actually diagnose this thing and bring you to a solution to help you with your problem. Let me know.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Sorry for the slow response.
Things went sideways here with work.
I'm trying to get tach reading.
I thought you could use the instrument cluster but I'm having no luck.
My hand held appears to have died.
I'll get back with results on the stall tests asap.
Thanks.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 17 days ago
Thanks for the update... I usually use a photo tach with the tape on the harmonic balancer or crank pulley.. I think even Harbor Freight might have a inexpensive version of them.. keep me posted...
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson