Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

From New Zealand, We have in our Fuel shop a Mack Granite…

Customer Question
Hi There , My...

Hi There , My name is ***** ***** New Zealand , We have in our Fuel shop a Mack Granite MP8 EGR { deleted } truck that has been around the traps with extremely poor performance but very good fuel consumption and fault code free. Following are the symptoms ...........

Mechanic's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Symptoms ......a...Starts easily every time .b...has very megre fuel use c....has 28psi boost { 2,1 bar on guage } at 1200 rpm under 100% throttle and brake holding speed at 40 mph d....has no fault codes e...has 75psi { 500kpa }fuel pressure . f...has only 140,000mls on clock and performs smoothly but gutlessly

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
The Caption above says Ford mechanic is working on my question however the vehicle in my truck workshop is a Mack Granite MP8 535HP not a ford , It is Volvo powered.
3/28/2018
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 3 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

That went to the wrong category and was sent here. Due to that, the info is all messed up. I basically got that the truck is lacking power on a EGR deleted truck. What year is the truck? Does it have the DPF and SCR on it?

Does it hard start at any time, hot or cold?

Does it smoke at all?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy , Thanks for your reply . Mack Trident 500 hp Engine MP8 500 EC 06 SW Calibration 21058110 Observations with Truck at my workshop after the agent have fitted new intercooler and turbo / VGT assy . A...other than lack of power this truck runs sweet , starts perfectly and drives smoothly. B....it has had an American ( EGR delete reflash program which we use here in numbers without issue ) C...does not have DPF D...EECU is fault free E...data from our Texa scan tool 1...Manifold pressure absolute 43 psi ( boost plus ambient of the day ) 2... boost pressure 21 psi 100% throttle engine under full load at 40mph held on brakes . 3... fuel pressure 72 psi 4...zero smoke ( bit weird as their is not a hint of smoke ever ) driver says Most economical truck in the fleet . 5...It seems we can assume there is no exhaust restrictions, no inlet restrictions , there could be a fuel flow issue possibly but the pressure never drops below 71psi 2...Before the EGR delete was carried out this problem was pre existing. 3... I am very familiar with this Volvo engine and have not struck this issue but am aware of it . 4... In frustration the owner had a 10% fuel up rate file added and all it did was make it more economical. Thanks Jeremy I hope this info assists. My Scan tool is capable of testing to a Vcad level which is Mack / Volvo oem tool . ********************** Ltd **************************************** Ph ****************

What do you have on the suction side for the pump? You may be getting good pressure from the pump to the head, but what about the suction from the tank which will let you know you have flow. Also, what about the return. Are you still getting a good pressure reading at the return?

It does sound like you have a fueling issue. I'm presuming the BARO sensor is reading good? That rules out any partial under fuel issues. You can get good pressure to the injectors, but have an injector not fueling enough. It is interesting to not have no smoke so that does mean the fuel is combusting well and that is good, but where is the fuel flow loss at. You have pressure and flow. You can have lower flow and the pressure will hold or build to compensate, but at 72 psi, that throws me off for that is within spec. I am wondering if there is a suction issue to the pump where you are getting a little bit of starvation or you are getting a bleed down on the rail and not holding the pressure for the return.I would check the pressure coming off the head and see if you are still at spec there.

Thanks Jeremy,
My next move will be to check the return and suction side . How much should flow back from the return to the tank ?
I will have carry on next week as it’s the Easter break here in NZ same as state side . But Inwill have those details ASAP .
Happy Easter to you .
Thanks
Hugo

Return I will have to pull the numbers, suction should be at 12 hg. I check that often enough to remember that one.

if Use the standard Common Rail flow rates thatbshould suffice ?

Yes