Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

How do I do a park regen on my 2012 freightliner cascadia…

How do I do...

How do I do a park regen on my 2012 freightliner cascadia dd15?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2012 Freightliner Cascadia DD15 is the engine type

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im driving it with my MIL on and my Check Engine light keeps returning and now with my DEF topped off my DEF light is flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ive had it in the shop recently n im aware that my NOX censor is bad and we need to do a series of repairs hoping the BOX1 doesnt need to be replaced...i took the truck to finish a few weeks of work hoping it wouldnt get worse cause the repairs will take a few days n they want it l week but i have no ability to get into a rental...so i was already aware of a 25% derate in my engine...bur ive never done a manual park regen n dont know what indicator would tell me that my truck regens while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

First, so you are aware, with that DEF code for the NOx sensor, the regen may not be able to be done manually. The truck won't allow it with any of those SCR codes in the system.

To know when you need the regen, that inhibit switch for the regen, it has a bluish color when it is good. It will turn to a solid yellow color when a parked regen is needed. When it starts flashing and you do NOT have the CEL, you must park within the next hour to do the parked regen. If the CEL comes on, you exceeded the point of being able to do it on your own and the computer needs to be hooked up.

Now, to do the parked regen, you have the truck idling and you are fully parked. You will push the accelerator just a little bit and let off. Then you will put your foot on the brake, push the tractor park valve in, got to drive and then back to neutral, then set the brake, then left off the brake pedal. Then you push the button in and hold it in place for the regen. After about 6 seconds, the truck will start to rev slightly and you will hear the turbo spool up. You are then in regen mode and then you wait for the idle to come back doen and the regen light will go off.

On the dash, you will get the hot exhaust indicator during the regen and that lets you know the regen is performing normally. If the truck stays idled up for a long period of time, like 15 minutes, and the truck is not at around 190 degrees and that exhaust hot lamp is not on, then the regen is not running properly and the truck will most likely code and derate.

That is how you can do the manual regen.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician